Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have debated whether or not I sometimes have excess gas or whether I have normal gas that I am just more sensitive to these days. However, on a few occasions in the recent weeks I have finally convinced myself that sometimes I clearly have days where I produce huge amounts of gas. One day I passed gas at least fifty times. And I am eating a very bland diet, with almost no fat and virtually no simple sugars. Now granted I do eat a lot of bread which is a starc, and starch is a complex sugar, right?? So maybe bread can cause this?? Does IBS itself seem to generate excess gas?? What else causes it?? Everything I have read says it is either swallowed air (usually a minor constituent at best at what we pass through our bowels) or that it is undigested food, usually sugars, that somehow are not digested in the small intestine and get fermented in the colon. Any other sources for so much gas?? I would appreciate any thoughts on other causes of excess gas. Thanks... diitto

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I answered some of this in a recent thread, http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/023899.html
quote:One day I passed gas at least fifty times.
This may or may not be abnormal. You'd really have to keep track of it over a long period. If a person really did have a lot of gas, then there are two basic sources, the gut bacteria and the atmosphere. The gut bacteria make gas from undigested carbohydrates. A fair amount of "resistant" carbohydrates are normally not absorbed, so there is considerable potential for gas generation. However, many bacteria eat gas, so the net volume is usually not too much. So how much gas one has depends upon both the volume of undigested carbohydrates entering the colon (where the bacteria are) and the bacterial makeup of the colon.The other source is from the atmosphere. It is not known just how much air a person swallows or exactly what happens to it. But it does appear to be normally be a small amount of what is output. If something is specifically wrong with the upper gut motility, then it is possible for that to result in an abnormal intake of air.You could fast from food for at least a few days and see what tha does. Fasting should drastically lower the volume of gas if it is from the gut bacteria. (Somewhere there is a crazy belief floating around that is somehow increases the volume.) If it doesn't affect it much, then the source might be from the atmosphere. The only way to know for sure is to have it analyzed.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I answered some of this in a recent thread, http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/023899.html
quote:One day I passed gas at least fifty times.
This may or may not be abnormal. You'd really have to keep track of it over a long period. If a person really did have a lot of gas, then there are two basic sources, the gut bacteria and the atmosphere. The gut bacteria make gas from undigested carbohydrates. A fair amount of "resistant" carbohydrates are normally not absorbed, so there is considerable potential for gas generation. However, many bacteria eat gas, so the net volume is usually not too much. So how much gas one has depends upon both the volume of undigested carbohydrates entering the colon (where the bacteria are) and the bacterial makeup of the colon.The other source is from the atmosphere. It is not known just how much air a person swallows or exactly what happens to it. But it does appear to be normally be a small amount of what is output. If something is specifically wrong with the upper gut motility, then it is possible for that to result in an abnormal intake of air.You could fast from food for at least a few days and see what tha does. Fasting should drastically lower the volume of gas if it is from the gut bacteria. (Somewhere there is a crazy belief floating around that is somehow increases the volume.) If it doesn't affect it much, then the source might be from the atmosphere. The only way to know for sure is to have it analyzed.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Starches other than rice (so wheat, corn, potatoes....) are generally not completely digested by humans so they tend to feed the colonic bacteria, many species which produce copious gas from the digestion of carbohydrates.It may be worth doing a few days of a lean protein + cooked veggies for meals and see if the gas production goes down.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Starches other than rice (so wheat, corn, potatoes....) are generally not completely digested by humans so they tend to feed the colonic bacteria, many species which produce copious gas from the digestion of carbohydrates.It may be worth doing a few days of a lean protein + cooked veggies for meals and see if the gas production goes down.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.