Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what sorts of things people do for exercise while dealing with the IBS. I haven't been doing much at all for the past year because school prevents me from having what's left of my life after the IBS-C/D attacks. I want to enroll in some kind of class in order to commit myself to exercising, but I don't know what works best with the IBS: aerobics, yoga, cycling, etc.? Any suggestions? I want to get in better shape, but I'm afraid that some activities are going to send me into a flare-up.CAS

·
Registered
269 Posts
Here's my experience with exercise and IBS. Your mileage my vary.The "impact" activities don't ever work well with IBS. I mean things like running, aerobics, dance, basketball, volleyball...When I can, I lift weights and do stationary bike for aerobics. For me, it's best to eat very lightly about 10-12 hours before I plan to work out. When I'm having a bad time with D, I still keep away from exercises that heavily involve my ab muscles -- crunches, heavy squats (which require a lifting belt), deadlifts, good mornings. Those exercises pretty much guarantee the gut snakes will attack. And sometimes I just cannot manage it. When the D is especially bad, even with a perfect attitude, it just doesn't work to repeatedly run into the bathroom and change pants during a workout.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Here's my experience with exercise and IBS. Your mileage my vary.The "impact" activities don't ever work well with IBS. I mean things like running, aerobics, dance, basketball, volleyball...When I can, I lift weights and do stationary bike for aerobics. For me, it's best to eat very lightly about 10-12 hours before I plan to work out. When I'm having a bad time with D, I still keep away from exercises that heavily involve my ab muscles -- crunches, heavy squats (which require a lifting belt), deadlifts, good mornings. Those exercises pretty much guarantee the gut snakes will attack. And sometimes I just cannot manage it. When the D is especially bad, even with a perfect attitude, it just doesn't work to repeatedly run into the bathroom and change pants during a workout.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I've found sports to be a rather hard area....I've always been into extreme sports (white water rafting, rock climbing) which are good fo rmy IBS as I get a lot of stree and energy out. HOwver, as my IBS has become worse its become very ahrd for me to take real trips to do these things... being stuck in a raft in the middle of no where hwen your stomach goes off is no fun.Outside extreme sports I've had rather bad results with tradditional activies. Basically anything I cna do on my own time is good.... if I weight lift or do situps and pushups I fell really good, espcially after a "good day". However, if I run or play running sports I get sotmach aches most all the time. I've also found that if I do something active all the time its a lot easier but if I only do somethng every few weeks it always hurts as my stomach isnt use to it.I imagine its different for everyone but my advice is to find programs that you do. Self motivation is ahrd but its a lot less stressful then having ot go to a class and do just what your told.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I've found sports to be a rather hard area....I've always been into extreme sports (white water rafting, rock climbing) which are good fo rmy IBS as I get a lot of stree and energy out. HOwver, as my IBS has become worse its become very ahrd for me to take real trips to do these things... being stuck in a raft in the middle of no where hwen your stomach goes off is no fun.Outside extreme sports I've had rather bad results with tradditional activies. Basically anything I cna do on my own time is good.... if I weight lift or do situps and pushups I fell really good, espcially after a "good day". However, if I run or play running sports I get sotmach aches most all the time. I've also found that if I do something active all the time its a lot easier but if I only do somethng every few weeks it always hurts as my stomach isnt use to it.I imagine its different for everyone but my advice is to find programs that you do. Self motivation is ahrd but its a lot less stressful then having ot go to a class and do just what your told.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As I have posted a few times before, I find that exercise - or physical exertion in general - usually gives me pain and discomfort. Running is one of the biggest problem areas for me, and can often cause me to have diarrhoea (I know I can't spell that word!), and even walking can be uncomfortable. Nonetheless, I don't want to turn into a complete vegetable, so I go swimming, which can be hit and miss, with a morning swim producing the best results for me. However, work (I am a labourer) can also be problematic: vigorous digging or swinging a heavy hammer can bring on the same symptoms as running can, but this usually subsides when I cease the activity. Just thought I'd like to share all this with you!

·
Registered
152 Posts
As I have posted a few times before, I find that exercise - or physical exertion in general - usually gives me pain and discomfort. Running is one of the biggest problem areas for me, and can often cause me to have diarrhoea (I know I can't spell that word!), and even walking can be uncomfortable. Nonetheless, I don't want to turn into a complete vegetable, so I go swimming, which can be hit and miss, with a morning swim producing the best results for me. However, work (I am a labourer) can also be problematic: vigorous digging or swinging a heavy hammer can bring on the same symptoms as running can, but this usually subsides when I cease the activity. Just thought I'd like to share all this with you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.