Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just interested to see how many people find this helps them. Any form of activity.I notice when I'm very inactive for large periods of time, I get frequent gas build ups, and get quite bloated or full for most of the day, and end up eating less as a result.I assume it's because stuff's not moving through very much. This week, over the Christmas period, I've not really been out or doing much, with university being on holiday and such, and have gradually noticed it. I've literally been sat on the sofa playing games or watching movies for virtually 24 hours nearly, for about 5 days!I was doing yoga for a while and it seemed to help a bit, in general with my IBS and my relaxation actually. Though a lot of the bending ones weren't always favorable or practical!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Every time l'd summon the courage to explore my issues with doctors they'd hint at whether l practiced relaxation, ate well or whether l exercised.I could lie to them but l new deceiving myself was stupid.In the end l realized these things are variables which can impact significantly any ones digestive system.How could l face the doctor with symptoms if l was a lazy, ate anything l liked, drank alcohol regularly, smoked & occasionally tried recreational drugs.FBO & constant lethargy were impacting on my sanity & quality of life so l went about changing my life in order to give my gut the best chance of working properly naturally.My lifestyle includes:Regular gym work (weights, cardio, & stretching).Walking.Very limited alcohol.No drugs.No caffeine.Meditation.Healthy diet (eliminated most processed foods, soft drinks, wheat, dairy, trans fat) & generally eat whole foods.l've realised many benefits:Reduced FBO & symptoms.Greater strength to cope with physical & psychological problems.I now actually have some periods of happiness & feeling of well being. I can control my negative thoughts and reduced periods & depth of depression.l still have FBO & suffer from a troubled gut but l'd be a blithering mess if l didn't have the strength my new lifestyle gives me.I also meet a lot of new people at the gym & at meditation retreats who help me learn new skills in my quest.Without IBS & FBO l think l'd be just a lazy unmotivated & over weight person.IBS & FBO have also helped me to be a better person, & has developed my sense of empathy for others no matter who they are. Also this forum has given me many new leads which l'll be exploring.My mindset is not if but when l'll be cured.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Common Response, you couldn't have said my thoughts better when you said:"Without IBS & FBO l think l'd be just a lazy unmotivated & over weight person.IBS & FBO have also helped me to be a better person, & has developed my sense of empathy for others no matter who they are."I too believe exercise can be incredibly powerful in getting a more positive attitude. For me, exercise is #1 in getting rid of gas/bloating more than any product or eating carefully, etc. For me it has to be fairly intense exercise, though, so yoga/stretching will not reduce bloating significantly, but running for 30-45 minutes will, especially on a fairly empty stomach, like running first thing in the morning. This may be because I used to run an hour a day for 2-3 months straight and got used to the intense exercise, about 11 months ago. I walk/speed-walk daily for university (I walk to campus and the campus itself is huge) but that does nothing to get rid of bloating. I want to go running daily each morning before my first meal, but because of university schedules, this is a near impossibility except on weekends, when I am already overladen with schoolwork/studying to do. But running at any time of the day is better than not going at all, and it creates motivation for the exercise you'll do the next day. Try jogging for 30 minutes and see how you feel, and try having a recovery snack after, such as a low-fibre fruit smoothie.

·
Registered
712 Posts
jjhleeThere are many of us who share common experiences due to our condition.Until now I've been alone with my thoughts having only recently discovered this forum.At times, the resultant stress, from work colleagues reactions to my symptoms, will increase my motivation.These days l get out of bed as early as 4.25am to prepare for my day.This is an excellent time to go jogging with fresh smog free air to fill the lungs.It also helps to get an early regular motion going before heading off to work/study.I hope you're able to adjust your heavy workload to allow you to include a regular morning jog in the future.Do give yoga/meditation a go if you can.l found the deep relaxation helps as it's very easy to fall into a psychosis or social phobia due to the symptoms we suffer from.The low fibre smoothie sounds like a nice drink. What's your recipe?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Regular exercise has helped me greatly. I've been weightlifting for about a year and a half now and I love it! It's my favorite thing to do, and even when I have a bad IBS day and feel horribly sick, once I get working out I feel so much better. I don't have IBS issues/pain during work outs, don't know why. I lift four days a week for 1 and 1/2 to 2hrs every time, and always very intense. I also have a lot of anger issues that this has helped with. I can now go to Walmart without fighting with people and flipping shopping carts, heehee. Yes I'm serious, it was REALLY bad at one point.But exercise will improve your quality of life, even if it's just walking or something like that. The lifting has really forced me to pay attention to my diet and follow it strictly. No more fast food, junk, etc, all healthy with high protein, high carbs, and mix in a healthy amount of fruits/veggies. And I'm sure if not for eating 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day I would be losing weight like crazy. I keep a food journal, and also take a powdered protein suppliment every day (very healthy and makes it easy on your digestive system to get in a good amount of protein.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.