Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To what extent does exercise benefit an IBSer ? Just curious since I know I should exercise more even though I'm only in my 20s, but don't seem to be motivated enough.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Togs,I go to the gym three or four times a week. It gives me great energy for the rest of the day. As far as my IBS-D goes, I know one advantage is that it help relieve me of stress - a major trigger of IBS attacks. I don't work out on a day that I've had a bad attack, but I find that if I work out more, the attacks don't seem as frequent. Talk to your doctor before starting any regular excercise regimin, but I believe it would not only not be bad for you, but could only do you a world of good!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I started doing Tae-Bo in the middle of October, and I am still doing it. It helpes relieve stress which helps relieve my IBS. I try to work out 5 times a week, but some weeks I only do it 3 or 4 times, but remember, one is better than none! I had problems with motivation also, I would start something, do it for a week or 2 and then stop cold turkey. This is the first time since h.s. gym class (when I was forced) that I have done regular activity for over a couple of weeks. So try different things, and dont do too much too fast. That was my mistake in the past. I did too much, like 2 hours in one day, and I would be so sore the next day that I got discouraged. Now I work out 30 min. a day and I am only a little sore the next day but not sore enough not to exercise.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think it's ok to rest a day or two in between, especially if you are building muscle.. to let it heal. I excersize some, I'm 22. It helps, but I do too much.. then feel sick from it.. do something light. I used to walk a LOT... but IBS has made that difficult. I also have little motivation.. so tired and hazy all day.. i duno what's wrong =]ben

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.