Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:I'm joining a new gym here near my office. I'm wondering if any of you exercise regularly. Actually, I'm assuming that some of you do. So, what kind of exercises do you do? Do you find anything aggravates your symptoms? Do you find anything that helps them?I've read in Heather Van V.'s book and other places that CV exercises are good for IBS as they help reduce stress and weight lifting is supposed to lift mood and good hormone levels, like seritonin. Any advice, stories, psychic visions are welcome?Thanks oodles...
(<-- me in step aerobics class!)

· Registered
17 Posts
My doctor, general practitioner, has told me the same thing. I know this, excercise may or may not help your IBS symptoms but it will help your energy level and symptoms of depression, if you have any. Exercise does produces endorphins which are mood lifters. You should exercise in a way that makes you healthy. Cardio is good but if you are looking for increased energy overtime and not just immeadiately alternated between Cardio and Weights. The two together work best. Try to stay motivated. Those of us with fatigue problems may have problems getting up and going out but I find exercise makes me feel less tired over time. Another benefit is you will just feel better about yourself and more attractive...this is always good to combat depression.

· Registered
7 Posts
Actually, exercise is one of the things that makes my IBS tolerable. I think it's due to making it part of my daily routine. Even if it's just a walk, I do something every day. It helps me mentally as well from those endorphins.Chris

· Registered
23,788 Posts
If your c predominate, excersise can help the colon work better. If your d predominate, it may aggravte it just for that reason, however all in all it is good for everything.At the moment I am not getting enough.
If you also gain some pounds that can effect your IBS making you more sluggish and making digestion work harder.The amount of excersises and different kinds can vary from person to person, in what may help or not. Its best not to over do it or under do it. managing IBS is in a big part balancing things, foods, stress, excercise, just about all of what you do in balance may help.

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Just fyi, but I played soccer for twenty years and was going to go professional, before I blew my kneecap.I was in great shape and played about eight hours a day. It took my mind off IBS and helped my body a lot. Once in a while I would get an attack afterwards or sometimes before, but once I started playing it would go away 99 percent of the time and a few times I literally had to drag myself out there, but I never missed a game because of my gut and I had severe IBS. In part through shear determination sometimes and at others because the mere fact of moving and distraction helped as well as when you excersise digestion is not as active. You might find later when you relax it may act up, and then some people think its when there relax it goes off even though its a delayed responce thing.One of the best things and something I still do a lot is the streching I learned while playing, if nothing else this can help tremedously and is a good way on the body to start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.