Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have just completed a battery of tests and I thought I would share my experiences as I have benefited a lot from other people's postings.A lesson that I have learnt is that everyone is *really* unique so something that happened with one person may not happen with another one despite same conditions. Of course I knew this earlier but never realized that experiences can be so vastly different. However, I got a variety of tips after reading each experience and therefore felt mentally prepared and more confident.Good luck for your respective tests: Colonoscopy After 2 months of painful anal fissure this was the first test and I was really fearful of it considering the bowel prep experiences and some horrible post colonoscopy experience. For me it was a breeze and in fact a relief. Bowel prep relieved me of the chronic constipation. Used golytely and did not found it to be a bad taste. Watched 7 hours straight of stand up comedy on youtube to keep me in good spirits on a very gloomy day(weather makes me depressed) of bowel prep. I did not have any cramps. Colonoscopy itself was painless and very comfortable. No recollection of the procedureAnal Manometry Got done twice. The fear of the anal fissure pain made it more uncomfortable than it really was. Do deep abdominal breathing to relieve any pain that comes from insertion of catheter. I was slightly uncomfortable throughout the test. The anal area was also a bit sore for a dayDefecography They made me lie on the X ray table and inserted barium paste. Deep breathing helped to relieve the slight discomfort. The table was then made vertical so that I was now sitting on top of a special toilet bowl. I was now asked to defecate. I tried a bit but then started experiencing cramping and a tremendous urge to urinate (which they won't let me in the beginning). Ultimately, I guess the cramping made them relent and I urinated and evacuated the entire paste in the restroom. The doctor was going to write that I had failed the test when I had a brainstorm(only happens after evacuation). I asked them if they can do it again since the urge to urinate and the unnatural position did not allow me to evcauate normally. The doc said that is possible. So we did it all over again. This time I evacuated standing and lo and behold I was able to have evacuate the entire paste in one shot. The lesson here is that one should be aware that they want to see if you can evacuate properly. For that you need to be comfortable and in as close a normal setting as possible.Gastric emptying They give you a meal with radio isotope and then study how long it takes to empty from the stomach. Fairly simple test. The only problematic part was that the patient has to not move at all for 2 hours while inside a machine that checks the radioactive radiation emitted by the food as it moves along.I was apprehensive about having a urge to urinate / defecate (if at all) because this was done early morning. They made me wear an adult diaper for that. My lower back of course hurt a bit because of maintaining constant position but nothing else apart from itCapsule endoscopy This was the supposed to be the simplest of test. I had gotten fairly cocky about me going through different tests and that led to my doom. This test requires lear liquid diet lunch of one day to lunch of second day. I didn't plan my first day well so I ended up having very light meal until lunch. The clear liquid diet (half lytely) caused cramping probably becuase there was nothing in my stomach to begin with. Also I have been getting better with zelnorm and the hunger pangs were bad. I then slept really late at night and had to put on the belt after 5 hours of sleep. The nurse told me to be in an upright position so I returened home and tried to sleep in an upright position. By the end of the test, the clear liquid diet and the lack of sleep had made me quite miserable. Lesson: Plan ahead.Small bowel manometry The doc told me that you watch TV for 6 hours and then go home. Boy that was a trap. This is the worse of all. The nurse told me that I tolerated it quite well. Part of it was because one night earlier I figured that catheter will cause some degree of discomfort and as therefore mentally prepared.They sedate you and then insert a catheter into your mouth. Once you wake up you are asked to eat a meal and then they study how your small bowel reacts to the food.The instructions said bring a walkman/ book to pass time. In reality, it is better if you try to sleep it off. The test started at 7:30. I woke up at 11:30 and was asked to eat with the catheter still in my mouth. Took half an hour to eat.Swallowing was of course very uncomfortable but sedation helped. Then slept again until 1:45. With 15 minutes left for the test, the catheter was getting painful. The nurse sprayed some more numbing agent into the throat but it did not help that much. Bottomline: Panicking with the catheter in the mouth makes it worse. Relax / go to sleep instead of listening to audio / book etc. Also ask for warm water with meals. That makes the catheter soft.I am waiting to do the small bowel bacterial overgrowth test but from the looks of it there isn't much to prepare on.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Wow,did you paid from your own pocket the capsule endoscopy?IS IT ALL NORMAL?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I guess I will pay from own pocket. I was told to appeal insurance. I didn't know what else to do.Colonoscopy was normalDefacography(first was abnormal/second was normal)manometry(could not evacuate the balloon both times)gastric emptying : normalsmall bowel manometry / capsule endoscopy results awaitedPS: Hey spasman, I was going to post it in a separate thread - but just to let you know I went for second appointment for biofeedback and it turned out to be much ado about nothing. Drove an hour to the hospital. They made me wait for half an hour because the technician was busy.First 15 minutes of the remaining half an hour were spent in reviewing the diet (and she didn't have much input). Next 10 minutes were again blow squeeze and then last 5 minutes for questions. I asked if this is what consitutes biofeedback. She said yes. So my experience so far is pretty bad. Except for the blow breathe relax routine there is nothing much to it. I am already doing it. In fact, with zelnorm, I didn't feel a need to do it except when these diagnostic tests happen and spoil my routine and I am back to square one.

·
Community Manager
13,258 Posts
thanks, Ramana, for taking the time to post all this info on the tests. you've really been through a lot. I hope the tests help your doctor(s) figure out a course of treatment that will help you. and good luck on your next test. thanks for keeping us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.