Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I starting dieting on Dr Atkins low carbohydrate diet and realized my diarrhea worsened when I began the diet. I now depend on medication to get me through the day as oppossed to before. Is it possible that the new diet I began triggered it? It is a possibility that ran through my mind when I backslided but don't really know for sure. What do you think?

·
Registered
605 Posts
J--I'm not an expert but I do have problems with D and I have tried the Atkins diet. It wreaked havoc on my poor gut and I had to stop after two weeks. Perhaps I would have adjusted had I stuck with it longer, but I didn't. I think that the amount of fat involved in the diet is just too disagreeable to those of us with D. I know I'm at my very best when following a low fat diet, so it all makes sense the Atkins diet would bother me. What about you?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi,I'm by no means an expert but I'm currently on Atkin's induction. My IBS was D and passing huge bouts gas (no odour). I gave up wheat / gluten in September and I swear that I haven't had a D attack since. I wouldn't touch the stuff now no matter what.I spent September to December eating tuna, brown rice, apples and chicken - I kid you not. No more D but it was hardly a balanced diet. I decided to go onto Atkin's because of it's focus on meat and fish.So, I started Atkin's in December but it's only been the past two weeks that I've been really doing it by the book. If anything it's made my gas worse. I was eating lots of meat and fish before but I think it's the salads I've been having on Atkin's that has increased the gas. My gas is still odourless and my insides are amazingly tollerant of the eggs I'm feeding it - wow. Three months ago I wouldn't have dared eat eggs.This gas increase hasn't put me off though and I'm going to persevere with the diet and see if it's just a temporary thing, because my innards aren't used to two portions of salad every day so maybe it will take a couple of weeks of getting used to. Besides I think there are benefits of eating some veg in my diet!Anyways what medication are you taking? Immodium? I take a calcium and magnessium combination (as well as a multivitimin) so you might want to try that. I used to take immodium for my D attacks and I found it was a vicious circle to get into (and a hard one to break) but I feel better only relying on supplements rather than meds.Good luck with Atkins! I'd say give it a chance (say a month) before trying something else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.