Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I am getting really fed up with food now, I have just had my dinner (homemade spag bol) and I literally had to run to the toilet before I exploded. I have gone from being panic stricken by my inability to go at all to going 3 times or more a day and having episodes like this! What is going on, I have stopped taking flax seed oil because I thought that may be part of the problem but it seems like anything can set me off. Pardon me for being so graphic but it was very yellowy-green and man did it smell! Well all help gratefully received and similar experiences shared (just as graphic if wished!) would be great. God I have definitely got an IBS/BB obsession

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
El Smell:Take a look at a post I entered on this thread as there are resources there for you which I recommend you read, as the content is applicable to you assuming you have been through a complete, proper, differential diagnosis performed by a Board Certified GI doctor and been pronounced apparently clear of "pathology", pathognes, etc. and labelled "IBS": http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=1;t=029171 IF that is not the case, this must be done first (proper differential dx by a GO doc to rule out other things which can produce these symptoms).I am personally familiar with your problem, having lived it for 40 years and overcome it, along with a lot of other people I have had the privilege of knowing or knowing of. This does not have to be a way of life.
MNL

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mike,Just to say thank you for the links and I will try to get through them all. Also to say that I have made a concerted effort to start eating bananas again and it seems to have helped and I am back to once/twice a day and the stools are more solid and I don't have the same rush to the loo but thanks again for the helpful advice.CheersEl

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,I know exactly how you feel..I've been there done that...Sometimes I think I am anal retentive(where all I have to do is look at food and my stomach starts hurting and then bang I am running to the bathroom with explosive D) I think the anxiety is sometimes worse then the actual D,,I was just out food shopping the other day and had to leave everything and go home because of an attack(i wont use public bathrooms if i can help it) sometimes I dont even make it home....This really sucks... Good luck........Chris

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
EL...if the 'nanners are helping a little you could try the Clatrate supplementation protocol as well. I don't have the links handy but the search engine will pull them in for you...just look for calcium or caltrate.Its great if one can reduce the symptomsa bit while learning about the ways to avoidthem in the first place, and if you can do it OTC and naturally.MNL

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had IBS-D for over 30 years. I wish I had had this board years ago. About a year ago, the D began being MUCH more explosive than usual. I know exactly what you are talking about. I ended up going on a VERY strict diet and having my gallbladder out. After my surgery, the doctor recommended I take 1 teaspoon of metamucil a day for at least 60 days. I have continued to take the metamucil because it has really evened things out. I am still on the diet, gradually adding things back. In this way I am identifying all of my triggers. In the original diet, I eliminated all alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, carbonated beverages, fried and spicy foods, raw fruits and vegetables, citrus, peppermint. I carefully counted fat grams and had no more than 10 grams a day to start. I'm up to 30 grams a day with no problems. If I have more than that in a day or more than 15 grams of fat in one sitting, I have an IBS episode.Anyway, I highly recommend the metamucil for making my D episodes much less explosive.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is metamucil a fibre bulking up type supplement? If it is has any one used fybogel, is it similar and how does it work for D? I used to use it for C but found the bananas worked wonders for that also and stopped using it. Mike thanks for the advice (again) and I will let you know how it all goes.El

·
Registered
7 Posts
Metamucil is a 100% natural psyllium fiber dietary supplement. My doctor said it evens out the moisture content of the colon so helps with both C and D. He likes it better than other fiber supplements because it makes you "go" more normally. (Like non-ibs people, LOL!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.