Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I'm having a major bloating problem and could seriously use some advice.I'm a 24 year old female and haven't usually had issues with bloating (aside from monthly water retention). But in the past two weeks, it's become out of control. There's not really any pain, it's just discomfort. It's definitely tied to constipation, but even emptying my bowels doesn't help.I've tried stimulant laxatives -- they worked for the constipation, but the bloating came back immediately after I ate something.I've tried Metamucil -- that just made it worse, as I'm not sure my body could handle all the fiber.I even took Tums and Pepto in a late-night last ditch effort, but that didn't do anything either.When I wake up in the morning, I'm fine. It's just after I eat that the bloating goes insane. Could it be trapped gas? I feel a little gassier than usual, but I'm not belching or farting up a storm. What can I do to stop this?? ANY advice would be great.Thanks!

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Take a walk for 20 mins. I find the discomfort goes after walking. I feel the gas moves when I do it. Many IBS'ers retain more gas than healthy people. So yes it could be trapped gas if it goes after passing gas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much, I'll try that tomorrow.I know that certain Pilates exercises help to expel gas, I've done that in the past. I've also tried laying on my stomach with a pillow underneath -- that's painful, but it sometimes does the trick. Oh, the things we have to go through.What do you know about digestive enzyme supplements? I've read that they can help with bloating...

·
Registered
143 Posts
My doc told me to take Beano before eating but I don't think it helped at all. Do you notice more or less gas after eating certain foods? I bet your doc will tell you to do the elimination diet to find out which foods bother you. It's such a pain to do!! But I guess it would be worth it if you found something that caused all your gas and then were able to eliminate it completely and feel better...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've been trying the elimination thing. It's not really working -- the only thing that ALWAYS triggers it is soda or other carbonated beverages. But there are days when fatty foods do nothing and salads make me bloat like crazy. It just depends on the day. And also, sometimes it feels like gas, sometimes it just feels like...I don't know, water weight maybe? It's so weird.I bought some Phazyne (is that what it's called, I don't have the box in front of me) today, but I haven't used it yet. We'll see!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:The Phazyne worked pretty well! It's definitely helping to expel this trapped gas -- I'm passing it like crazy, but right now I'd rather have that than the pressure/bloating!Ahh...the sweet feeling of minor relief.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have similar probs.Niggle under right side usually results in wind. Constipated also and take Lactulose. This is supposed to soften the "stool" to make it easier to pass.Things have got badly worse since my mum died 2 weeks ago. Is stress related to bowel movements?When I was younger and was faced with a something different my bowel would erupt! Not the same now somewhat older.Regards to all

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had IBS for 8 years. When it first started it was mostly loose stool and extreme gas. Now it has totally changed and gone to constipation with severe bloating. And yes I have noticed that stress and food can and will change your IBS. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try taking two capsules of Activated Charcoal. Being sure to take them two hours before your medicines or two hours after your medicines. Charcoal does absorb EVERYTHING in your stomache. Activated Charcoal works on colonic gases also unlike simethicon which works in the stomache only. If you take simethicon and the gas "escapes" out of the stomache and into the bowels you must take something that works in the bowels. My gas problems tend to be mostly in the colon and I LOVE my activated charcoal!!!Debi

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Charcoal does absorb EVERYTHING in your stomache. Activated Charcoal works on colonic gases also unlike simethicon which works in the stomache only
Actually, charcoal has no effect on gas in the intestine. Charcoal gets wet in the intestine and somehow prevents it from adsorbing gases. Whatever is making your problem better, it's not the charcoal.

·
Registered
175 Posts
quote:seriously dude...if all you want to do is tell is there is nothing that can help us...get ****ed..im seriously over your ****
Flux is right. Charcoal does not seems to have a great effect on gas. I tried it for 4 weeks, on nothing happend. I`ve also read in a ibs study that charcoal and simethicon has no effect on ibs bloatings. Greetings Sarmiento

·
Registered
59 Posts
If charcoal does not work in the stomach why do we give it to our drug OD patients that come into the emergency room to ABSORB the drug they have over dosed on? Your stomach is wet, is it not? That is what is dumped into the naso gastric tube that is put into your stomache.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Regardless of what is supposed to happen or what supposedly works or doesn't work, the Phazyne really helped me. The source of my horrible bloating this week has absolutely been gas, because the bloating goes away when the gas does. (It was also exasperated by my period.)This is all very new to me, and I don't know a lot about the various therapies, but I think there's something to be said for just feeling better. Maybe the charcoal doesn't do precisely what Debi says (or maybe it does, I don't know), but if it's helping SOMETHING, if she feels better by taking it, then so be it. You know?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Debby,you're rigth.It is use as an anti-poison.It is more likely to help D sufferers because it slow and form the stools.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I believe charcoal can absorb things in the liquid phase. Thus good for dissolved poisons in the stomachI think the problem is it can't aborb gases when wet.Charcoal will do that when it is dry which is why they have toot catcher charcoal pads to get the odor on the way out.K.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.