Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I developed extreme gas problems 2 months ago which I believe was caused by my intense sugar cravings and period of depression/anxiety. I know I got bad gas months ago when I would eat lots of gummie candies or eat certain baked goods.After much trial and error, I found that I had to go on a low carb diet. I tried to do limited carbs but that just didn't cut the gas and intestinal rumbling.Here's what I have done the past 4 days:Breakfast: very little oatmealLunch: Soup with lots of veggies (no carrots or potatoes) and only sea salt to taste and a piece of chicken to taste.Dinner: The same as lunchMy diet is more complicated than that. I take lots of supplements, but I finally figured out that an enteric coated peppermint cap 1 hour before eating soothed me. Now I am using whey protein powder instead of meat since it is easier on my tummy.I used to take a lot of antibaterial/fungal herbs with my meals, but now I take it half an hour before meals.I noticed a tremendous difference. Day 4 I have no gas and very mild rumbling or none at all! I will keep this up for another 10 days. If I still have rumbling, then I will continue low carb. If not, I will slooowly add some carbs like rice...then wheat and bread...then red meat...then dairy.I am subjectively convinced that my gas is caused by some bacteria or parasite. I'm taking a bunch of herbs like garlic, pau d'arco, oregano extract, turmeric, cloves to wipe this out. At night I take FOS, and probiotics with 14+ different strains.I rather go emaciated for a while than suffer for the rest of my life. This gas problem is awful.Has anyone tried an extended low carb diet? How has it worked out?

·
Registered
258 Posts
skinny,Hi! I have been low carbing since April. I try to eat 20-50 grams of carbs per day. I have experienced a significant improvement in my IBS symptoms, such as bloating and D. In addition, my GERD seems to have improved as well. However, I still experience the pain associated with IBS on occassion.I understand that each IBSer is different, and what works for one, may not work for another. But, I can say that for me, low carbing is the best thing I could have done for myself. It has improved my IBS and GERD as well as restored energy to my sedentary lifestyle.Good luck with your new way of eating!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, day 6 and no gassiness or stomach rumbling! Yesterday I woke up with stale gas, but I think that was due to eating too much FOS with my probiotics.Also yesterday I ate a bunch of Pollo Tropical (a delicous spanish styled barbeque) and did fine. I think my hypothesis of overgrowth of bacteria in the gut is right. I've been taking my antibacteria/antifungal herbals agressively before meals and now I can digest my proteins without any gas. Today I ate a bit of white rice and haven't heard any gut complaints.I think the goldenseal from the pills that I'm taking is working. I read that it acts as an antibiotic and should be used more than 10 days. The real test will be when I start adding more carbs and seeing how it works out. I'm going to add wheat after a few days and then fruits and finally dairy. I hope everything works out for me.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Hi skinny,How ya doing now. Let us know Is it the gas or the smell that is you big problem ?I know cutting back on carbs cuts back on gas but no matter how gasless I seem to be, or think I am, the odor is still with me. I must admit that I have a hard time avoiding all carbs but I did find some stuff in the store that is very low in carbs. Like 3 per bottle. It comes in a bar form too, but if you try it only buy one to see if you like it. Some people can' stand the taste.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello,this is my first time here. i'm not sure how this works, but i am desperate. i have been suffering with IBS for almost two years now and have recently (last 6mos) developed acid reflux. i feel like there is nothing out there i can eat. my diet consists of yogurt and bananas. i'm so frustrated and don't know where to begin. i love salads, but my acid reflux rejects the lettuce and other green veggies. my IBS symptoms are primarily gas & bloating. apples and nuts cause this as well as dairy (which also effect my acid reflux). i've tried peppermint tea and altoids to ease my IBS, but this irritates my acid reflux. i've always been a healthy eater, but now even those foods bother me. i know high protein is supposed to help, right? (but not nuts ) are carbs good or bad? i definitely have a weakness for carbs. I eat no dairy - i've changed to soy. i love fruit, but the acid won't stay down. any advise anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello KTpower,I'm sorry you are going through a difficult time right now. I'm not that familiar with acid reflux, but it seems that all of the things you should avoid if you have IBS are the same things you should avoid if you have acid reflux (except for peppermint tea, peppermint pills, etc.) I would suggest you stop eating the bananas and the apples. Actually, you should probably avoid fesh fruit for awhile until you start feeling better. It's probably better to eat canned fruit. Also, aviod acidic foods like tomatoes, salad dressing, condiments like ketchup, bb-q sauce, etc. Eat grilled or baked meats that are low in fat such as chicken breast, lean pork or beef and seafood. Eat cooked vegetables. The best vegetables are the ones that do not have thick outer husks, such as green beans, peas and corn. Try eating spinach, asaparagus, carrots and squash. Yougurt is good for you because it contains healthy bacteria that aids in digestion. Most importantly, you must visit a gastroenterologist. I hope that helps. Please keep us updated on your progress.gr8girl

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joycein OH:I started adding more carbs back and get intestinal rumbling (mostly colon area) and minor gas thats not smelly (but sometimes that is). I added back fruits and yesterday I added bread. I got rumbly from the bread I think.I learned the hard way that onions are a big NO NO for me. Oh my what terrible gas I got from stir fried onions!
This diet is very difficult to follow. Even though my gas has gone 80% in severity, I still don't feel like my former self.
The minor to moderate rumbling makes me uneasy.I used to be full of life and energy, and now I have mostly a listless face now. After being a well educated skeptic and atheist, I relapsed back to christianity. I know from a rational standpoint it doesn't makes sense, but when you are weak and looking for hope, you'll turn to just about anything. I kinda shut of my rational mind and started praying, going to church with my parents, receiving prayer, even believing in god Jesus healing and all that stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts