Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
HI Guys like to share some recent experience .. i had a history of GERD and IBS as diagonised by my GI abt 1 year after doing my endoscope and colonscope.. took omeprazole for my Gerd ..but seriously i think my acid reflux is mild. i hardly get heartburn but as a matter of fact, my IBS is quite frequent. every couple of weeks i will have abdomen cramps followed by loosed scatterd stools..sometime last for 4~5 days before going back normal. sad to say, there is hardly any medicine to cure IBS except for own diet and stress control So i lived with it for the past 1 year.. abt 1 month ago, i started to have abdomen disconfort which leads to new systom of feeling nauseous.. My stools also were watery, loose and scattered. there were times when i facing pain in my abdomen, flare up my stools even had lots of bubbles / gas!!! seen another doc for opinion and was given Nexium and Domperidone.. took for 1 week...the abdomen discomfort does not seem to go away. went back to my GI, she told me my stomach cramps is caused by Domperidone..told me to go off it and ask me to start taking probiotics for my colon..but seriously i started to have the abdominal discomfort and nausea feel before i started on med like nexium or domperidone...so i also having doubts nowwell so now i am on nexium 20 mg per day and probiotics... but somehow i am still having stomach cramps..whcih leads to feeling a little bit nauseous at times of the day or after a meal.My stools also is loose and scattered but has improved over the last 1 week.i do not think its myACID REFLUX causing my abdominal pain and slight nauseous feeling.. instead i can feel the abdomen pain circulatin from one corner to another.. i have been on nexium for 1 week already. i can also feel that my slight nausea feeling is coming from my abdomen discomfort.. i also asked my GI about possibility of gastritis or H pylori infection. she told me she checked for that during my coloscope last year and i am negative.. anyone facing such systoms?? could it be some infection on the colon or could it be due to some other problems...

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
By the time the reflux began to develop in me--after years of stomach and bowel problems--there was a band of burning across my abdomen after the first bite in the morning. That would stay with me until bedtime, and if it didn't calm down, I would reflux in the night. It was inflammation, that's all.Mark

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You have a diagnosis of IBS?That also causes abdominal pain/discomfort, especially with the altered stool consistency.The pain doesn't have to be GERD or your upper GI tract only. Upper GI pain tends to feel more in the chest rather than in the abdomen because the stomach (the organ) is up at the top right by the ribs, and the reflux into the esophagus is in the chest.GERD meds usually don't do anything for IBS pain.GERD or other upper GI issues (you could have functional stuff up top as well as GERD) can make people nauseated, and some people's IBS pain can make them a bit queasy as well.Have you tried ginger for the nausea?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You have a diagnosis of IBS?That also causes abdominal pain/discomfort, especially with the altered stool consistency.The pain doesn't have to be GERD or your upper GI tract only. Upper GI pain tends to feel more in the chest rather than in the abdomen because the stomach (the organ) is up at the top right by the ribs, and the reflux into the esophagus is in the chest.GERD meds usually don't do anything for IBS pain.GERD or other upper GI issues (you could have functional stuff up top as well as GERD) can make people nauseated, and some people's IBS pain can make them a bit queasy as well.Have you tried ginger for the nausea?
Hi kATHLEEN After my colonscope dated 1 year ago, i was told my Gastrologist that i have IBS.. i know there is also a blood test which can be done for IBS patients to see what kind of food they are sensitive to and should not take.. Precisely i feel that taking the Nexium is not going to eliminate my Abdomen burning sensation and slight nausea..But the Gastrologist ask me to take 40mg of Nexium for 1 month to see hows the condition with Probiotics and see her fro a review in 1 months time.. thats why i am having doubts..i believe the doc feel that the nausea feeling and abdomen discomrfort is due to my acid reflux whcih usually is link to IBS...I do not deny usually if i am feeling bloated and gassy, i usually land up with a flare up and irritable bowels..they are kinda link to my acid reflux whcih i usually had to take my omeprazole and the abdomen pains and irritable bowels would subsided after couple of days. This time the abdomen discomfort comes and goes in 1 week interval plus a new systom of feeling slight nauseous whcih got me worried.. i feel that this time is more linked to my IBS than Gerd which is why i feel taking nexium for the next 1 month might not improve the condition.. as a matter of fact, will it even cause more discomfort to my abdomen?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well every single treatment of any kind has some potential to cause side effects or make things worse.If you assume that all you will get is side effects and you can't ever get any benefit you will never try anything. If you don't try things you don't know if they can work. Unfortunately there is no good way to know for certain other than try something for a month and see how it goes.Side effects from Nexium tend to be fairly rare and most people with GERD benefit from it so I don't know why you assume it can only make you worse without even giving it a go.Nausea tends to be a problem in the upper GI tract whether or not the lower GI tract is involved in triggering it so I don't see why treating up top is an unreasonable approach.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI kathleen The feeling of waking up every morning with a stomach cramp sucks..this has happen for the past 1.5 weeks.. i do not have diahorrea...but rather my usual IBS attack systoms e.g loose , soft and scattered stools..The nausea feeling did suppressed quite abit for the past few days..but it seem to reccur back when my abdomen discomfort kicks in at times of the day.. Esp after a meal, i can feel immediate discomfort on my abdomen but will go away after a while i might just want to see another doc for a opinion..i just felt that i might have an infection e.g SIBO or i dun know...because living with IBS and GERD for past 1.5 years, i never felt like this for the past 1 month.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Getting another doctor's opinion is a good idea. You might also try a naturopath for a different approach to how the body works. This is not necessarily a static condition. If you do not find and treat the cause it may continue to worsen. Mine did.Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.