Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Falling Apart?

417 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  bethae3 
G
#1 ·
I don't know what I'm looking for hear - ideas or just sympathy, but I feel like I'm falling apart. In the past 12 months, I have had more tests and procedures than all 31 years put together. I've been dx with: psoriasis, IBS - D, pernicious anemia, and PMDD. I'm on meds for the PMDD, taking b12 shots for the anemia, two different creams for the psoriasis on my hands and feet, and trying to deal with the IBS through primarily diet, since, the dr told me he prefers not to pre,scribe meds if you can eat to fix it (even though I have a list of maybe 12 foods I can tolerate!). I get so overwhelmed and frustruated trying to live my life, and my husband, while he tries to help and be umnderstanding (he's been really great about everything, including the bills, the effe,ct on our personal life, and the times when I'm miserable with problems from one or the other of these things) just doesn't understand that sometimes its just out of my control to accept this stuff as ok, and not feel put upon. Most of the time I'm ok, but I think that has a lot to do with his support a(nd the Paxil for the PMDD!) I guess I just needed to vent, since, today is one of the days I'm feeling like I'm falling apart.

#3 ·
Hi bethae3,You are going through a lot, no wonder you feel so bad, just having IBS-D alone is a burden, let alone having all this other stuff to deal with. I hope the meds you're on will help you to feel better, maybe you can find a nutritionist(sp) to work out a diet around the foods you can tolerate. many people here with IBS-D have had success with taking calcium. You would have to ask your drs. if taking extra calcium wouldn't interfere with your meds (I don't know what PMDD is and wanted to reply to your post first before finding out), it has helped quite a lot of people with IBS-D and it seems pretty harmless. I don't think anyone who doesn't have a chronic illness or disorder can really understand how difficult it is, and how you feel like screaming and venting sometimes, because you don't want to be or feel ill and have all these restrictions to live with. It must be hard on those dear to us as well, but it's the hardest on us. Don't worry about venting here,that's what the BB is here for too. I hope you'll be able to find some suggestions here that will help you in the long run, but for now I hope you will have some consolation in the fact that most of us here will be able to understand how you feel,Take care,Fay [This message has been edited by Fay (edited 07-08-2001).]

#2 ·
Hi bethae3,You are going through a lot, no wonder you feel so bad, just having IBS-D alone is a burden, let alone having all this other stuff to deal with. I hope the meds you're on will help you to feel better, maybe you can find a nutritionist(sp) to work out a diet around the foods you can tolerate. many people here with IBS-D have had success with taking calcium. You would have to ask your drs. if taking extra calcium wouldn't interfere with your meds (I don't know what PMDD is and wanted to reply to your post first before finding out), it has helped quite a lot of people with IBS-D and it seems pretty harmless. I don't think anyone who doesn't have a chronic illness or disorder can really understand how difficult it is, and how you feel like screaming and venting sometimes, because you don't want to be or feel ill and have all these restrictions to live with. It must be hard on those dear to us as well, but it's the hardest on us. Don't worry about venting here,that's what the BB is here for too. I hope you'll be able to find some suggestions here that will help you in the long run, but for now I hope you will have some consolation in the fact that most of us here will be able to understand how you feel,Take care,Fay [This message has been edited by Fay (edited 07-08-2001).]

#4 ·
You're obviously overwhelmed and I can see why. There is really a lot on your plate right now. When I think of all of the things I'm going through right now, the only thing that keeps me going is guilt. I'm a medical transcriptionist so I've been typing medical reports for over 10 years now. I have typed reports about A LOT of very sick people, too many that had no hope at all. So even though my problems were important to me, they would have gladly switched with me. I'm not taking any of your problems lightly, I know you're going through a lot right now. I hope that once they get your anemia and your psoriasis under control that things will calm down for you. I think for a lot of us, all of our other problems gang up on us and make our IBS much worse. I'm glad you have a supportive husband. My husband had not really been that supportive for most of my IBS. He was more annoyed than supportive. Recently in the past six months or so, when I had some severe attacks of IBS and two of my close family members (my sister and step-dad) developed cancer, my husband has realized that I can not take much more and has become supportive. I know things are very difficult for you right now but I think that once everthing is under control you'll feel much better. Take care. I'll keep you in my prayers.

#5 ·
You're obviously overwhelmed and I can see why. There is really a lot on your plate right now. When I think of all of the things I'm going through right now, the only thing that keeps me going is guilt. I'm a medical transcriptionist so I've been typing medical reports for over 10 years now. I have typed reports about A LOT of very sick people, too many that had no hope at all. So even though my problems were important to me, they would have gladly switched with me. I'm not taking any of your problems lightly, I know you're going through a lot right now. I hope that once they get your anemia and your psoriasis under control that things will calm down for you. I think for a lot of us, all of our other problems gang up on us and make our IBS much worse. I'm glad you have a supportive husband. My husband had not really been that supportive for most of my IBS. He was more annoyed than supportive. Recently in the past six months or so, when I had some severe attacks of IBS and two of my close family members (my sister and step-dad) developed cancer, my husband has realized that I can not take much more and has become supportive. I know things are very difficult for you right now but I think that once everthing is under control you'll feel much better. Take care. I'll keep you in my prayers.

#7 ·
I know exactly how you feel and I sympathize with you. Unlike you tho I have no support, and I mean no support at home. I've been through so many tests I feel like putting up garlic and crosses when I see a doctor. My boss and coworkers tell me IAIYH (it's all in your head), even as I'm going to the bathroom and my husband well when he starts I just can't take it. I swear sometimes I just want to curl up and die. He says I'm doing this to get attention (he's a pilot and is gone all the time mostly and when's he's not gone he's not at work he's out with his pilot friends (no offense meant here to anybody else who flies). It's hard to take this alone but I have my dog and cat. No kids and family is over 1200 miles away. I just have faith in the Lord that He knows what He's doing and that settles me sometimes. Just remember the people on the board care about each other and are family. Hang in there. Like you said there are others much worse off. I try to tell myself that a lot but it's little comfort. It will get better.

#6 ·
I know exactly how you feel and I sympathize with you. Unlike you tho I have no support, and I mean no support at home. I've been through so many tests I feel like putting up garlic and crosses when I see a doctor. My boss and coworkers tell me IAIYH (it's all in your head), even as I'm going to the bathroom and my husband well when he starts I just can't take it. I swear sometimes I just want to curl up and die. He says I'm doing this to get attention (he's a pilot and is gone all the time mostly and when's he's not gone he's not at work he's out with his pilot friends (no offense meant here to anybody else who flies). It's hard to take this alone but I have my dog and cat. No kids and family is over 1200 miles away. I just have faith in the Lord that He knows what He's doing and that settles me sometimes. Just remember the people on the board care about each other and are family. Hang in there. Like you said there are others much worse off. I try to tell myself that a lot but it's little comfort. It will get better.

G
#9 ·
Thanks guys. I'm in a much better frame of mind today. I'm hoping that everyone who comes ojn this bb gets the support I have - sometimes, that's all we need. Thanks again!------------------Bethae3Today is the Tomorrow you worried about - was it worth it?

G
#8 ·
Thanks guys. I'm in a much better frame of mind today. I'm hoping that everyone who comes ojn this bb gets the support I have - sometimes, that's all we need. Thanks again!------------------Bethae3Today is the Tomorrow you worried about - was it worth it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.