Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one ever used the Family and Medical Leave Act successfully with IBS. My workplace, due to many absences due to the blessings of IBS, has suggested I file for this with my doctor. I accumulated negative sick time which no one told me about and will now lose all my vacation time for 2003-July 2004. I have 14 hrs of vacation remaining.I explained that I cannot plan the days I may miss work due to the nature of this IBS, but no one is getting it or understanding why diarrhea would cause me to miss work.
I have a new doc with new meds( Questran and Donnatal) but as we all know the body is slow at times responding to new things. I really love my job and have given up in other situations by leaving a job and I will not let that happen again
. Any suggestions or thoughts?Gilda

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I have not used the FMLA for IBS but for my son who was having severe behaivoral and drug problems in high school. However, my IBS benefited greatly from the FMLA because it was so much easier to deal with being at home! People use it for very broad reasons so I don't know why someone couldn't use it for IBS.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am on FMLA for ibs. I never have a problem getting to leave early or call in. Only HR knows the reason and have the paperwork. My manager just knows I'm sick and never gives me a hard time when I use it. It gives me 12 weeks unpaid but excused time off and does not need to be scheduled in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and the information. I hope I can use it and stop the madness going on at work.Gilda

1 - 4 of 4 Posts