Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very nice web site. haven't been here for awhile I guess? Used to have bad "IBS" but finally figured it out, the hard way. Had Microdiskectomy and "IBS" resolved. However on bad back days I can get symptoms of the old "IBS" like nausea and pain in lower colon, rectum would be another word I guess. Also don't eat Chocolate anymore, so maybe I do have some real "IBS" and chocolate triggers it. BTW "IBS" is written in pararenthesis because ( in my opinion) its a ridiculus diagnosis given by doctors who don't want to talk to you anymore. I always say that because , guess what, I'm still pissed at all the doctors I went to who couldn't connect a major herniated disk with my symptoms. If you think you have SIBO cut down on the milk. And of course beware all the crud they sell online to cure IBS, its a waste of money, I tried it , most of it. One last thing, I think fat can trigger IBS, eric has or used to write about this all the time, I think he's right about that. Blair

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The fat thing is an inteesting theory. I'm going to have to think about that...... hmmmm. Maybe there's some truth to that. We'll see. Maybe I'll test it this week and eat a lot of fat and see if it flares up.

·
Registered
254 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Blair:I'm still pissed at all the doctors I went to who couldn't connect a major herniated disk with my symptoms.
There are many things a herniated disk can impact and I agree, the symptom gets treated but not the root cause. I personally know of a guy that was being treated for prostate issues for a few years. His real problem - a disk in his lower lumbar.I'll agree on the fat issue. My pains begin with fat or anything that releases bile (seeds) thus why I thought my gall bladder had problems. Give me a handful of corn chips and I'll be in pain.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my symptoms were not quite true IBS symptoms. With hindsight it becomes clearer to me what was going on. For example I would get quite a bit of pain after going to bathroom, I beleive IBS states pain is releived after bowel movement. My main symptom was nausea, worse at work, better if I walked or lay down in bed, very bad if I was standing or shopping, wlaking slow and stopping alot. This is consitant with a low back injury. My nausea was better when I worked at my computer doing design and worse in lab doing measurments. Now one could say stress went up in lab and better when I was designing, more control designing and stressful when design was being tested in lab. Maybe thats true? I have a better one, my computer chair has lumbar support and the lab chairs are more like stools. So you see the answers were ther staring me in the face but after countless doctors visits and getting labaled IBS all other causes were lost.If only the right questions were asked by the doctors? Also i didn't have alot of back pain at first. Too bad I didn't figure it out quicker, now I have nerve damage. I wish I never got labeled with IBS because it really took me off course.And yes I did ask for a MRI way back in 1998 but was refused on the grounds it would tell doctor nothing, " alot of people have bulging disks". I no longer with Kasier Permentate. I pay more for a PPO. So I finally figured it out after almost despairing on a solution, but I pay the price every day with facet joint pain and siacitica. But I eat what I want and rarely get the panic type feelings that go along with a disfucntiong Colon. yes I beleive IBS causes stress. There is a bowel to brain connection although most people it goes from brain to bowel, I beleive it can go the other way also. I experienced it.maybe the human mind is better able to deal with certain pain than other type of pain? I hope I cost Kasier plenty of money when they ran all there fancy tests , thats what they get for such a gross misdiagnosis. I especially hope they enjoyed the 7 day fecal fat collection sample. idiots.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
HEllo Blair, long time no see. Glad to know you found out what your problem was. Who could have gueesed that it could be a back problem?! Sorry that you are suffering from being diagnosed too late. That must suck!Hey you were the first one to tell us about SIBO , I remember all those fancy graphs you put up and all the discussions with flux. Not much has changed and discussions with flux continue. "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"- :The more it changes the more it remains the same. Although it seems that he has finally bought the SIBO theory. So what do you know?!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Blair, gald your doing better.On the fatsGastroenterol Clin North Am. 1991 Jun;20(2):313-24. Related Articles, Links Diet and the irritable bowel syndrome.Friedman G.Department of Medicine, Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York.Food intake plays a key role in triggering or perpetuating symptoms in patients with IBS. Evaluation of the impact of diet in the individual patient requires a precise dietary history and a 7-day prospective dietary analysis, which should include the quality and quantity of food consumed, chronologic sequence and nature of symptoms, and the frequency and consistency of bowel movements. The caloric density of the meal, total fat intake, the quantity and quality of lactose-containing foods, sorbitol, fructose, and the nature and quantity of soluble and insoluble fiber intake must be noted. Patients with reflux esophageal symptoms should eliminate foods that decrease LES pressure, such as chocolate, peppermint, alcohol, and coffee. Direct esophageal mucosal irritants such as tomatoes, citrus juices, sharp condiments, and alcohol should be limited. Gastric emptying is slowed with the ingestion of fats and soluble fiber. Small bowel motility is slowed by soluble fiber and fatty foods. Gaseous syndromes may be reduced by avoidance of smoking, chewing gum, excessive liquid intake, and carbonated drinks. The reduced intake of large amounts of lactose-containing foods, sorbitol, and fructose may limit postprandial bloating. Flatus production can be lowered by reducing fermentable carbohydrates such as beans, cabbage, lentils, brussel sprouts, and legumes. Soluble and insoluble fiber ingestion will reduce sigmoidal intraluminal pressures and overcome spastic constipation when given in progressive graded doses. Effective dietary manipulations remain a key factor in reducing symptoms in IBS.Publication Types: Review Review, Tutorial PMID: 2066155 "The caloric density of the meal, total fat intake," is very important"Fat is the single greatest digestive tract stimulant. Nothing else will trigger a more powerful gastrocolic reflex. "http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoodsinfo.htm

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Bonniei, Hi Eric, long time I've been away I guess. So Flux buys SIBO? How about Candida? I making a joke there. I can tell a little story when I was down at Cedars Sinai getting tested for SIBO, I asked the tech running the test if he tested himself.He did and was POSITIVE, he went on to say that it didn't cause him problems like us who had IBS and by quiting milk he then tested negitive. Hmmmm. Anyway I kept a food diary for over 5 YEARS, every day, what I ate, how I felt. Eventualy I ate only salads and meat, no starchs except corn chips! Of course it was ridiculas but I was sick and getting nowere. My old posts are pretty sad affairs, I had no clue. I only avoid chocolate and butter now, and don't eat many corn chips either! I drink a hell of allot of coffee now, after giving up on it for 8 years!! And drink, at least I don't smoke anymore. I think this expecience taught me somthing, one thing is not to be so quick to focus in on one thing, but step back and think hard about what else it could be, and not get too complicated right away! I also miss my long walks, when I had IBS I walked all the time, I was very nervous and stressed, of course it was probably making me worse? The walking. Thought I was going to die, etc. I stop to smell the roses when ever possible because of course, on day I will die. I hope all of you out there get some kind of relief, my back hurts all the time since surgery but I wouldn't trade it for the IBS..no way!!!!Blair

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think this experience taught me something, one thing is not to be so quick to focus in on one thing," I should have fired my stupid doctor is what I should have done. 20 years ago wow time flies and they still haven't cured IBS ?? I have this stimulator on my neck because of a old herniated disk in my neck C6 C7 small thing with sticky pads. So my neck going out in 1996 and the L5 S1 really had us clueless but a diagnosis of IBS? Epic fail by Kaiser. I thought it was malathion poisoning because of the nerve pain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.