Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As sad as it sounds I am so happy to find out today that I have celiac disease. It has been a long 2 yrs diagnosed with IBS. I have been through so many emotions, pain, tests, etc. that I am SO happy to know it is something I can fix (to an extent). I don't know if I will be posting here anymore that I no longer have IBS. Or do I? I don't know. Anyhow, if anyone has developed a lactose intolerance or have sensitivity to wheat all I can say is that it can't hurt to get it checked out. My doc says the damage to my villi is reversible with a gluten free diet but I have to stick with it FOREVER. The food isn't that great so far that I have tried, but I am sure with experimentation it will be okay. Anyhow, my stay on this board has been wonderful. I am so happy to have been with such a great supportive and INFORMATIVE group of people. Thanks KMOTTUS, FLUX,ERIC, etc. and so on for such remarkable researching and assistance. As for me I am incredibly happy and hopefully on a road to better health!!! Take care!!2ndChance

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
So happy to hear that you found the cause of your problems and it can be helped.
Wish that soon none of us would need this board anymore.Come back for a visit now and then.
My prayers are with you, Joyce ------------------You will never know that God is all you need....... until God is all you have. �� Prayer doesn't change God , it changes the one who prays..C type, with G

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
So happy to hear that you found the cause of your problems and it can be helped.
Wish that soon none of us would need this board anymore.Come back for a visit now and then.
My prayers are with you, Joyce ------------------You will never know that God is all you need....... until God is all you have. �� Prayer doesn't change God , it changes the one who prays..C type, with G

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Your quite welcome.It may be helpful to others for you to post from time to time about celiac disease (and unfortunately sometimes finding an organic cause doesn't mean you don't have functional problems as well). Getting diagnosed, what works, etc as while it is less common than IBS it is often an overlooked cause of GI distress.Here's hoping gluten free living makes you all better (one of the neighbor kids was diagnosed with celiac when she was little--every family event she got her own special cake made of rice flour).K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Your quite welcome.It may be helpful to others for you to post from time to time about celiac disease (and unfortunately sometimes finding an organic cause doesn't mean you don't have functional problems as well). Getting diagnosed, what works, etc as while it is less common than IBS it is often an overlooked cause of GI distress.Here's hoping gluten free living makes you all better (one of the neighbor kids was diagnosed with celiac when she was little--every family event she got her own special cake made of rice flour).K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My mom has celiac disease. Don't give up on your diet. I promise you they have many things for you to eat. Different breads etc. made with rice and corn. It is a very hard diet to stick to & I wish you luck. You will feel better. I am curious if you had a dexascan done for osteoporosis. Depending on your age - you can develope this early due to the celiac. This is also reversable if treated early. My mom developed osteo. from celiac. She has to take calcium pills & Fosomax for it. I would check into it just in case. Calcium is always good to take anyway. Keep us updated on your progress & feel free to visit us often! Maybe you should start a celiac room on the BB.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My mom has celiac disease. Don't give up on your diet. I promise you they have many things for you to eat. Different breads etc. made with rice and corn. It is a very hard diet to stick to & I wish you luck. You will feel better. I am curious if you had a dexascan done for osteoporosis. Depending on your age - you can develope this early due to the celiac. This is also reversable if treated early. My mom developed osteo. from celiac. She has to take calcium pills & Fosomax for it. I would check into it just in case. Calcium is always good to take anyway. Keep us updated on your progress & feel free to visit us often! Maybe you should start a celiac room on the BB.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Joycein OH for the encouraging words. K, I will definitely check in from time to time to give an update on my gluten free diet. I am hoping for the best. Lotronex Lover � I haven�t had the scan you were referring to. I am only 24, would this be something I should look into? It would be nice to start a room on this board regarding celiac, but I would have to get in invite from the moderator of course. Wanderingstar � Thank you for your kind words as well. After all this I can�t leave you guys, so I will definitely keep you all posted from time to time. Take care and thanks again everyone!! : )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Joycein OH for the encouraging words. K, I will definitely check in from time to time to give an update on my gluten free diet. I am hoping for the best. Lotronex Lover � I haven�t had the scan you were referring to. I am only 24, would this be something I should look into? It would be nice to start a room on this board regarding celiac, but I would have to get in invite from the moderator of course. Wanderingstar � Thank you for your kind words as well. After all this I can�t leave you guys, so I will definitely keep you all posted from time to time. Take care and thanks again everyone!! : )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Pete. Yes, I did the EGD with small bowel biopsy. In fact, last Wednesday was the scary day! It was so simple I couldn't believe it. My blood levels were high which suggested Celiac (CD) and I also tested positive for lactose intolerance which kind of goes along with CD. I also took a d-xylose test which turned out normal for malabsorption. The biopsy is what confirmed the whole theory. Nothing to it at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Pete. Yes, I did the EGD with small bowel biopsy. In fact, last Wednesday was the scary day! It was so simple I couldn't believe it. My blood levels were high which suggested Celiac (CD) and I also tested positive for lactose intolerance which kind of goes along with CD. I also took a d-xylose test which turned out normal for malabsorption. The biopsy is what confirmed the whole theory. Nothing to it at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pete, I also missed your second question. Yes, I do have upper G.I. problems. I take Tums every day for the acid but they found no reflux or ulcers. They said everything looked good. My other main problems are with gaining weight, IBS-C, gassy, bloated, tired all the time. Most CD patients are said to be prodominantly D however, so it throws the docs off sometimes to find a patient with C.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pete, I also missed your second question. Yes, I do have upper G.I. problems. I take Tums every day for the acid but they found no reflux or ulcers. They said everything looked good. My other main problems are with gaining weight, IBS-C, gassy, bloated, tired all the time. Most CD patients are said to be prodominantly D however, so it throws the docs off sometimes to find a patient with C.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Good luck 2ndChance!
I have a friend who had Celiac disease and a kid I used to babysit did. The cakes are good; add a wee bit of vanilla to them to make them less dry.
I guess you can't live on cake, but that is one tip I could give.------------------"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to- day basis." --Margaret Bonnano

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Good luck 2ndChance!
I have a friend who had Celiac disease and a kid I used to babysit did. The cakes are good; add a wee bit of vanilla to them to make them less dry.
I guess you can't live on cake, but that is one tip I could give.------------------"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to- day basis." --Margaret Bonnano

·
Registered
525 Posts
HI 2nd Chance,I'm glad you found your diagnosis--makes life easier when you know how to handle your problems. I sure hope you keep posting about this disorder. I think I may have it; what's the first test a person should take? I am wheat sensitive (LEAP testing), but I am not sensitive to Spelt (a form of wheat), lactose intolerant but not sensitive to milk (???). Anyway, I am mostly C to normal, gas pains,tired a lot, am thin so weight gain is not a problem for me, actually lost a few pounds in the last few months. Following a wheat free diet is tough for me, cause I'm also very sensitive to rice. So I basically have been eating millet, oats,spelt and corn for my grains. Please post anything you learn about celiac, it will help many of us who could be. Also I need to mention that I found out that I had osteoporosis in my early 40's (way too early) and am taking a medication for it. Please have your bone density checked as a baseline even though you are very young. I didn't know I had it until I broke a bone in my foot while walking the dog. Never broke a bone in my life---couldn't believe I had osteo!Tania

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.