Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I,m janneke a 23 year old female from Holland. When I searched the web I found this page. I have a very bad farting problem and I don't know what it is. Every morning and evening I feel very bloated and fart almost every 10 minutes. They don't stink but they,re long and loud!!! I,m embaressed when this happens (because of my boyfriend).I'd like to hear some stories of other members who have the same problem as me and how they deal with it.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I found that taking probiotic bacteria greatly reduced the # and apparent volume of farts (there is no good way to measure that, # is easier to deal with).I use Probiotica which is made by the Imodium people I don't know if it is available outside the US. Probiotics are pretty popular so there should be some available where you are, usually at the health-food store. You may need to try different brands to either find one that actually has live bacteria in it (the industry is not well regulated) or to find one that works for you.They don't help everyone, but do work well for alot of people.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I found that taking probiotic bacteria greatly reduced the # and apparent volume of farts (there is no good way to measure that, # is easier to deal with).I use Probiotica which is made by the Imodium people I don't know if it is available outside the US. Probiotics are pretty popular so there should be some available where you are, usually at the health-food store. You may need to try different brands to either find one that actually has live bacteria in it (the industry is not well regulated) or to find one that works for you.They don't help everyone, but do work well for alot of people.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
What happens to the frequency if you fast from food for a day or two?------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
What happens to the frequency if you fast from food for a day or two?------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it helps a little but it's bad anyway. I haven't seen a doc yet because it's a shamefull subject.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it helps a little but it's bad anyway. I haven't seen a doc yet because it's a shamefull subject.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know if I have IBS but when I read some stories of this board I might be very unlucky.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if I have IBS but when I read some stories of this board I might be very unlucky.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ha Janneke,Welcome to this BB (from a compatriot, although I'm living in Scotland). There are lots of people here with the same problem, try doing a search (see the search link at the top of the page under Post Reply) on 'farting" or 'gas'. It's not one of my biggest problems (my problem is mainly D), but I have noticed that since I'm limiting my carbohydrate-intake bloating and gas have certainly decreased.Fay

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ha Janneke,Welcome to this BB (from a compatriot, although I'm living in Scotland). There are lots of people here with the same problem, try doing a search (see the search link at the top of the page under Post Reply) on 'farting" or 'gas'. It's not one of my biggest problems (my problem is mainly D), but I have noticed that since I'm limiting my carbohydrate-intake bloating and gas have certainly decreased.Fay

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:it helps a little but it's bad anyway
If helps only a little (in terms of volume), then it suggests the gas comes from the atmosphere.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:it helps a little but it's bad anyway
If helps only a little (in terms of volume), then it suggests the gas comes from the atmosphere.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Whenever I eat foods that don't agree with me I pass lots of gas. Overall, I don't have a problem. But my Jack Russell Terrier makes the quite stinky farts. I have to open all the windows.LOL.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Whenever I eat foods that don't agree with me I pass lots of gas. Overall, I don't have a problem. But my Jack Russell Terrier makes the quite stinky farts. I have to open all the windows.LOL.

·
Registered
521 Posts
quote:it helps a little but it's bad anyway.
Hmmm, have you really fasted for a day or two..that is eaten nothing but water and kept track of how many times you fart? Flux, I'd think that not eating might eliminate gas from air swallowing because a person might swallow the majority of their air while eating food. I'd think it'd be better to actually eat foods that are highly unlikely to cause gas (like rice and chicken) for a couple days to check for air swallowing. Plus, since the odds are it will eliminate their gas, it seems easier to try. If that didn't work then they could try fasting. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Also, if the gas smells bad, wouldn't it be unlikely to come from the atmosphere?

·
Registered
521 Posts
quote:it helps a little but it's bad anyway.
Hmmm, have you really fasted for a day or two..that is eaten nothing but water and kept track of how many times you fart? Flux, I'd think that not eating might eliminate gas from air swallowing because a person might swallow the majority of their air while eating food. I'd think it'd be better to actually eat foods that are highly unlikely to cause gas (like rice and chicken) for a couple days to check for air swallowing. Plus, since the odds are it will eliminate their gas, it seems easier to try. If that didn't work then they could try fasting. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Also, if the gas smells bad, wouldn't it be unlikely to come from the atmosphere?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: I'd think that not eating might eliminate gas from air swallowing because a person might swallow the majority of their air while eating food.
There is no good reason to think that abnormal air swallowing should be associated with eating. We don't have even good reason to think it has anything to do with swallowing. Then again some people think that everyone swallows huge amounts of air under normal circumstances, but that it all gets belched up undetected!
quote:if the gas smells bad, wouldn't it be unlikely to come from the atmosphere?
While it's true gas from the atmosphere is odorless, the gases causing the odors in flatus are probably still going to be produced in enough amounts (from fermentation of intestinal juices and tissue) to be smelled. It doesn't take a lot.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.