Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what forum I should post this. So will just ask here.My roomates sister has had some GI problems. And, her GI doc said he found hi fat levels in her stool. So he put her on a high fat diet, for 4 weeks. To measure the fat again. What the heck is wrong with this picture??????????Does not make sense to me.Double ck'd hi fat ...yet.She is feeling very ill.I think the doc is nuts.........Ever hear of this?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I think the doc is nuts........
I agree. There should be almost no fat in stool. An high amount suggests something is wrong and whatever that is needs to be determined and treated. Having consume a diet in high in fat is not unhealthy but makes no sense.Do you know how much fat there was? The next step is have D-xylose to determine whether the problem is maldigestion or malabsorption.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I remeber that ym GI wanted to give me a 72hr stool test.During which i woudl have had to follow a strict diet and included a lot of fat.I think its because they want to measure how much fat is going in and coming out.Not to sure how the test works as i never did have it done. I just know that the procedure for the test was a high fat diet.Here is a site that came up when i searched it http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/...l_fat_test.html

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:And, found out that it was not 4 weeks but 4 days. BIG diffrence.
This makes sense when the test is first done, but if the result is already abnormal, why retest?

·
Registered
517 Posts
quote:Why didnt you take the test ?
Because i felt i didn't really need the test. The doctor jsut wanted me to since we had all the other tests done. PLus the doctor told me i woudl have to come off all my meds for a week before my test and i didn't think it would be worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.