Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else feel unusually fatigued??? I used to have off the wall energy now it is all I can do to drag myself around. I blamed it on being old , on stress, on not eating right heck maybe its just a side effect of IBS. ------------------�� wherever you go there you are

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't know, but I'm always tired, and sleepy it seems. Maybe it's just the stress this disease puts on your body, maybe it's the stress this disease puts on your MIND. Is this a recent development or have you been fatigued for a while now? I'd be interested in what others say about this too.

G

·
I too am ver tired all the time. I am 22 so I hope it isn't age as I might stop when I am older I am going so slow. It could be because heat tends to make me feel worse and it has been hot recently. I know when I am not bloated and feeling sore I feel more awake then when I feel really bad with IBS. I think it is mostly the mental rather than the physical effects of IBS that make me tired. I am off to the dr again tonight. A different one than normal hope he can help me more.

G

·
I get really tired a lot too! I think it my be due to dehydration. I have IBS-D and I don't really drink much water, that could be a factor! But I could sleep 12 hours no problem on any given day! I have to go to bed by 10:30 pm in order for me to sort of be able to wake up at 6:30 am. But again it my just be because I'm the type of person that needs a lot of sleep?!!!My boyfriends mother sleeps probably on average 2 hours a night, she doesn't have insomnia, she has been that way her whole life! She's always up, but it must get really boring, while the rest of the world is sleeping?!I guess some people just need more sleep than others!------------------Michelle

·
Registered
279 Posts
hmmmmWith IBS-D, you lose electrolytes with the fluid, and that will definitely make you feel tired. Fatigue is frequently mentioned in the literature in association with IBS. It's probably due to a variety of things- anxiety and depression over the condition make you feel tired, loss of electrolytes, lack of sleep or poor sleep if your guts are bothering you (Although the books say IBS doesn't wake you up, there are certainly many posts here that describe gas, bloating, and having to "go" keeping people awake), and just general fatigue associated with living with a stressful condition. So, it makes sense, doesn't it? I think exercise does help.kate

·
Registered
162 Posts
Kate-tn, how do you replace those electrolytes? Gatorade? I know that water won't replace all of them. I don't drink much water, but my D is better since starting Calcium. Could my fatigue be caused by dehydration or electrolyte loss even though my D is better? Also, it's freakin' HOT here...the temp is usually about 97 with heat index of 110-115...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tired all the time thats me. Tuesday night I felt like #### so I went to bed a 6:30. Woke up at 10:00 and helped put the kids to bed, went back to bed at 11:00 and slept until 8:00.I think my problem is the pain I suffer everyday drains the hell out of me. I have Endometriosis and chronic ovarian cyst formations along with IBS.

G

·
I haven't been positng much and am a relative new comer to this BB. But I have found your discussions very informative. I am happy I found you all. This doesn't seem to be an only me problem.I always feel tired. I never seem to get enough sleep even if I go to bed at 6p.m. I too feel like the disease is a drain on your physically and mentally. I am the C type and I never seem to be getting enough water. I probably should stop drinking my one cup of coffee a day. But having given up so many things that I truly enjoy eating, chocolate is my favorite, I feel like one cup of coffee a few times a week really shouldn't bother me.For those of you who have the C type with intermittent episodes of D after eating, do you take a fiber supplement like metamucil? Some of you have said that Citrucel seems to be easier on your systems. I am trying really hard to introduce more natural fiber (veggies, fruit) into my diet.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Yep - and Shashaanna, I also have the recurring ovarian cyst pain (and maybe endomtriosis). Just dealing with this on a regular basis wipes me out.------------------"When I find myself fading, I close my eyes and realize my friends are my energy." (anonymous) Missycat

G

·
Count me in on the being tired issue.I am 70 yrs old so I'm sure age has a lot to do with it. I get 7 or 8 hrs. sleep and take a 1 1/2 to 2 hr. nap each day. When I feel like getting out of the house, I go to the Dr. for a B-12 shot which helps---I am allowed 1 each month, but don't always feel like going to get it. The Dr. or dentist is just about all I get out of the house for.------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

G

·
hmmmmmmmm, Chronic fatigue definately goes along with a chronic illness which IBS is. Just the fact that we have this to deal with puts a tremendous stress on our systems, never mind the other stress we all have in our lives. The better I feel, the less fatigued I am but until the last few months I've dragged my butt around every where and no amount of sleep, exercise or rest made a difference. There's a book I really like and it's on the book list "Sick and Tired of Feeling Sick and Tire". It deals with a bunch of "invisible chronic illnesses" and has definately benefited me. I can't even imagine how dealing with IBS plus something like endometriosis or ovarian cysts must be. Good luck, I hope you start finding things that work for you. Jackie

·
Registered
279 Posts
KAOSI'm no dr., but I do know that when I had bouts of D in the past and just drank water or ginger ale, I still had the achey-tired feeling. When I switched to Gatorade (I'm sure any Sports drink would be fine.) I recovered a lot faster. I used to drink very little liquid (like maybe 3 cups per day of whatever), and even when I wasn't having an IBS attack, I'd sometimes feel myself dragging- a couple of glasses of water would make a big difference. I don't think more liquid is a cure-all that'll change your life, but if we know it's better for us to be more hydrated, it seems to me it's worth a try.kate

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Well, my immune system is so far down the scale, it's worrisome. If it isn't the lack of balanced, nutritional meals (a combination of fear about eating certain things and lack of appetite until late), it's maybe the stress. Maybe REALLY the stress! Now I have sinus congestion that won't quit. Antibiotic for a sinus infection last January was what gave me IBS (the infection was in the sphenoid, so I guess they needed the heavy guns). But you can imagine what this is doing to me. WORRY! FATIGUE! IBS! THE BIG THREE.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I too feel tired all the time no matter how much sleep I get. I try to take extra special care of my self but I always feel dragged out even when I am in the C phase. For a while I thought the Prilosec I take for other problems was depleting my B vitamin absorption, so I do take supplements, vitamis B-1 through B-12, and that does seem to help. My life is very stressful as I am recently divorced with two children, one 19 and the other 9 as well as being a professional in the health insurance industry which as everyone knows is a mess.I have to deal with alot of travel for business which also stresses me out as you can problably imagine. I guess I contribute my tiredness more to stress than IBS and I think the IBS is worse due to stress as well. However I DO NOT think the underlying cause to IBS is stress. I think it is more of an genetic affliction that is aggravated by stress.

G

·
I read an article about IBS from Johns Hopkins, I wish I could locate it and post the address. It stated that IBS is not actually GENETIC but does tend to run in families because people in the same family tend to eat the same foods, face the same issues and deal with them sort of alike. It stated also that people with IBS feel things in their colons that "normal people" don't because certain "neurons?" in the gut are more sensitive in IBS people than in the general population. I also believe that there is a group of "syndromes" which include chronic fatigue, restless leg, fibromyralgia(sp) and several others including IBS and people tend to have a few of these at the same time. When I go and go and go (sometimes I cant believe that there is so much sh-t in one person)I am absolutely exhausted at the end of it. However for me tiredness is not one of my major IBS complaints.------------------Nancy

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Um -- well, I hate to bump this up, because I'm trying to get something started on having us write letters to our reps on the approval of Lotronex and it's like pulling teeth ...BUT This is to Kate, if you come back here. Is there something about water that is superior as far as liquid is concerned, instead of, say, decaf, juice, Lactaid, etc? I just read that in taking fiber, for instance, six of those eight glasses have to be water. Yuk. Borring! (and hard for me, too, because I then "run" for another reason!) And no vitamins! Would it apply here, too? Gatorade definitely gives energy...is THAT more equivalent to water?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like I am not alone. I am a big water drinker but will try a sports drink. Sounds like there could be some connection between IBS and fatigue. ------------------�� wherever you go there you are

G

·
GoesAlot,I was just wondering, what is restless leg, fibromyralgia?Just curious! I definetly have the fatigue thing, my boyfirends says "Your always tired!", I guess now I know why!------------------Michelle

·
Registered
279 Posts
Pers,This is the "IBS sufferer" me answering, not the "science background" me, but I think that the majority of that does have to be water. I probably read the same book you did, because it also said 6 of the 8 glasses had to be water, with the other two being non-caffeine, not soft drink type drinks. I think that "8" is just a guideline, and if I shoot for that and get up to five glasses of water a day, I'm still doing better than I would otherwise. Also, just from a common sense standpoint, if some people are smaller, have different dietary habits, sweat a lot, etc., that's going to affect it. I tend to not take the recommendations literally, but use them as a general guideline.kate

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I think that as long as you're drinking liquids (not alcohol or caffiene), you're getting much-needed water into your system. The sports drinks are mainly water anyway. But beware of the sodium content in some of them - Gatorade has (I think) the most sodium per serving. Some of them are just sugar-water, which isn't the greatest thing to be drinking nutritionally, but then again, there are sports drinks out there that are fortified with vitamins and minerals. For a D person, I've got to think that these are good for us. Read the labels and make your decision based on that. Eight glasses of water a day is best, but if you drink some sports drinks along with the water, I can't see any harm in that.------------------"When I find myself fading, I close my eyes and realize my friends are my energy." (anonymous) Missycat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts