Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed any connection to the above with their IBS-D? I find that I am very anxious during an attack (natural response I guess) then very fatigued and depressed after.My doctor hasn't been very supportive so I guess I need to go back to him and demand some tests.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hey Kad;I think it's all connected, We have a brain-gut connection, so it would be natural to feel this way. Yesterday, for me, bad, bad day. Today, hardly any ibs symptoms, but just felt yucky, tired and not in the greatest of moods. See?!!
However, there are things that can help with that. Learning to cope with your anxiety is the first step. You can probably bring your attack to something bearable if you did that. There are medications, hypnotherapy, breathing/relaxation exercises. You may not need more tests if you've already done all the necessary ones diagnosing your ibs. If you doctor is not very supportive, GET ANOTHER DOCTOR!! I can't stress this enough. You have to have someone willing to work through this with you. Hopefully, something in here helped. If not, there is a ton of useful information for you to look up and read on here. Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He hasn't done any tests. Just said stop drinking milk and milk products but go ahead and eat all teh yogurt I want.I have a psychiatrist to help on the anxiety side of it and anti-depressants do help a great deal but I hate to be on them always and I am trying to conceive so I'd at least like to be off until I give birth.I have been to training for breathing and controlling thoughts but they don't seem to work anymore. It is discouraging. I go out and try to live a "normal" life but I am frequently anxious or depressed even when out.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
No tests? For him to tell you to just stop drinking milk is the stupidest thing I ever heard! Well, one of the stupidest
First of all, it milk products don't bother you, then you can drink them. You may need a new doctor, or go in there and blow him away with all your educated questions that you can get on this site, and let him know you're trying to conceive, so this needs to be worked on.If you're anxious, it can have an affect on you conceiving. If you don't want to be on meds, what about hypnotherapy. Have you given that a try? They say Mike's audio tapes have been very successful, and I've read alot of posts saying that it's helped them enormously.Here's the link:http://tlrltd.com/IBS-Audio-Program-100.htm Hang in there! We're here for ya!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'd better go back in there.The first time he told me it was anxiety, which I accept part of the time but I wake up with it and have it on days I'm not anxious and other days I'll be anxious and not have D that day. I'm broke now but I'll try to order the tapes after Christmas.

·
Registered
137 Posts
KAD, your response is so typical to the IBS I have, the anxiety issues are a problem, and they need to be dealt with, I have not been able to do it yet though...as far as your GI tract all the info in the world won't help if your Doc does not know much about the IBS....I have met many docs who just flat out say I don't think IBS is actually an independent syndrome....meaning he thought there must be a reason...inflammation...disease, etc...well thats when I get miffed and say duh no kidding but it is not a disease that is presently treatable by his or other current protocols....all we can do is through testing eliminate other diseasesit could be....which I have done...Rome III criteria....as Eric has been saying for years does show that IBS is in a class of its own with many sub-variations...the trick is to find a Doc who can take you to this point of diagnosis.....I had to do it on my own...of course with the extraordinary assistance of all the wonderful educators on this BB....unfortunately you may have to do the same take the bull by the horns.....but hang in there....you will make it.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.