Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/03/05/1415104/0/en/U-S-FDA-Accepts-New-Drug-Application-for-Prucalopride-SHP555-for-Chronic-Idiopathic-Constipation.html

thanks so much to one of our members, wgbutler, for posting this information yesterday on the "drugs against C in the pipeline" thread. i thought i would start a topic on it here just to help make sure everybody sees it.

this is such good news! finally--it's about time! prucalopride has been available in other countries for several years now.

what makes prucalopride special is that it's a high affinity selective serotonin type 4 (5-HT4) receptor agonist--a prokinetic med that stimulates colonic peristalsis, increasing bowel motility. it's much different than amitiza, linzess and trulance. for those of us who remember zelnorm, it's similar to zelnom, but with a better safety profile.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
no, sorry--it's not available now. it's just been sent in for the fda to consider for approval. it should be approved in december and then it will become available during the first part of 2019. it's a long time to wait, i know. i wish the fda would fast-track it, like they did with linzess.

if you can get your doc to write you a script for it, you can buy it online at one of the online canadian pharmacies, like canadapharmacyonline.com. they have it but they need a script in order to send it to you. i've read posts from people who have done this. here is one of the threads on the ADMD motility disorders support board about that

https://www.inspire.com/groups/agmd-gi-motility/discussion/fda-accepts-new-drug-application-for-prucalopride-for-cic/

and :

https://www.canadapharmacyonline.com/DrugInfo.aspx?name=Resolor6820

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you're welcome--good luck with everything.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I believe this drug is also available in Canada. Those with Docs willing to write scripts to Canada could get it. My last check showed it was expensive, well over $100 for 30 days supply.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
yes, as i mentioned earlier, in my second post, as long as you have a script for it, you can get prucalopride from one of the online canadian pharmacies. and yes, it's quite expensive. you can check out that link i posted, where people discuss getting it from canada.

Reactions: dac122

·
Registered
30 Posts
Been available in the uk for ages, maybe couple of years. Linzess is more reliable for me personally, although i find prucalopride helps with trapped gas better.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Been available in the uk for ages, maybe couple of years. Linzess is more reliable for me personally, although i find prucalopride helps with trapped gas better.
I am waiting here in the US for prucalopride to hit the market and am wondering what to expect. I think trapped gas is one of my problems.

Can you speak to any side effects of prucalopride or other things we should know?

·
Registered
112 Posts
https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/03/05/1415104/0/en/U-S-FDA-Accepts-New-Drug-Application-for-Prucalopride-SHP555-for-Chronic-Idiopathic-Constipation.html

thanks so much to one of our members, wgbutler, for posting this information yesterday on the "drugs against C in the pipeline" thread. i thought i would start a topic on it here just to help make sure everybody sees it.

this is such good news! finally--it's about time! prucalopride has been available in other countries for several years now.

what makes prucalopride special is that it's a high affinity selective serotonin type 4 (5-HT4) receptor agonist--a prokinetic med that stimulates colonic peristalsis, increasing bowel motility. it's much different than amitiza, linzess and trulance. for those of us who remember zelnorm, it's similar to zelnom, but with a better safety profile.
@Annie7 Isn't a 5-HT4 receptor the same thing as linzess? Does this stuff pull fluids into the intestines like the osmotic laxatives that are currently available?

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no, a 5-HT4 receptor agonist is not like linzess etc. it's a prokinetic med that stimulates peristalsis thus increasing bowel motility. it doesn't pull fluid into the colon like linzess, trulance, and amitiza do.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20408739

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
thanks SO much for posting this wonderful news!!!! Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i wonder how that name--motegrity-- is pronounced???? )

·
Registered
195 Posts
thanks SO much for posting this wonderful news!!!! Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had to guess I'd think its pronounced in a similar way to the word "integrity", except with the syllable "mo" (rhyming with the word "row") at the beginning.

Now bring on Zelnorm, Tenapanor, Elobixibat, and the vibrating capsule, and other things.

We need lots of different options for this horrible condition!

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
yes--thanks-- you're probably right on the pronounciation. and yes, it sure is a weird name! i liked "resolor" better, too.

and thanks for all your helpful links.

yes we sure do need a lot of options. like you say--bring 'em on!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am sure we will know soon enough as we get bombarded with commercials about it being the only pro-motility agent, warm little mascots and happy patients enjoying the sunset, resuming an active lifestyle.
laugh.png

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am sure we will know soon enough as we get bombarded with commercials about it being the only pro-motility agent, warm little mascots and happy patients enjoying the sunset, resuming an active lifestyle.
laugh.png
That's hilarious! And you know that's exactly what is going to happen. In reality, if these companies displayed realistic commercials, they would show people running back and forth to the bathroom with uncontrollable D for hours. (But I realize that Motegrity/Prucalopride won't have this effect on most patients)

One time I took a Trulance pill and it actually did what these commercials say that these drugs do. I had one massive, extremely relieving experience in the bathroom and then it was all over and I didn't have to go to the bathroom any more that day. I was so amazed that I told the nurse practitioner at my GI's office about it when I saw her on my next GI appointment, and she remarked, "so that was just like the commercials!"

On another note, the constipation drug wars are about to begin:

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/shire-gears-up-to-battle-allergan-new-constipation-drug-motegrity

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am so happy to hear about this - I am actually seeing my gastroenterologist tomorrow and I plan to speak with him about it. I hope it becomes available soon!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts