Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
240 Posts
The words 'Fecal Body odor syndrome' to describe a syndromewhere individuals believe their body smells like feceswas invented by people on a forum a few years back. It was not invented by physicians, scientists, or researchers.The reason? There is no such disorder. There is no documentedcase of this disorder in the medical literature. There is no person who has confirmed this problem with any scientistor physician in the universe.So what's going on? Through several interviews with peoplewho believe they have this syndrome, I've determined thatthese people are having olfactory hallucinations. This is notuncommon and by having them, it does not mean youare crazy, schizophrenic or have to be admitted to a mentalhospital.Here's the evidence that the disorder is not real:1.) Almost all the people who suffer from this admit that physiciansor family and friends can not smell this odor. If the odor of feceswas indeed being released from your friend's body, wouldn'tyou be scared and urge them to get medical care? But instead,they can not smell it.2.) Almost all the people interviewed admitted to previous mentalhealth problems with the majority of them experiencing obsessivecompulsive disorder. Others experienced severe anxiety/panic attacks.OCD is relatively rare so when you see this mostly occuring in peoplewho have had this issue, anyone with knowledge of statistics canunderstand what's going on.Hallucinations can occur in those who have had trauma as well. If you havehad trauma and are experiencing smells which you think you may be imagining,seek the care of a neurologist right away.If you think you have this imagined fecal body odor syndrome, seek the treatment of apsychiatrist.

·
Banned
7,295 Posts
SunNsnow,I'm not following your description or understanding of "fecal body odor". Are you saying that because "Fecal Body Odor" is in the title of this forum that it has been interpreted as "Fecal Body Odor Syndrome" or is there some other reference that I have not seen?FYI: The background behind adding "fecal body odor" to the forum title was to provide a safe place for people who perhaps have a lot of smelly gas to talk freely about it.I personally thought that "If you think you have this imagined fecal body odor, seek the treatment of a psychiatrist." was quite an extreme statement which likely alienated many people who find this forum helpful. That is not in the spirit of our support group.Jeff

·
Banned
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Initially I thought it referred to the syndrome but now after you posting I can see how it is referringto incontinence, which is real. However, many people who see it (especially those who think theyhave fecal body odor syndrome) will assume this is in reference to the syndrome. My post should be edited to say, "fecal body odor syndrome."I crapped in my pants a couple times so I know how that is.I am referring to this syndrome which was invented on some website yearsback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
invented my ass, its a label for something new that medical practitions know nothing aboutbecause its not know in the medical community doesnt mean it doesnt exist, it just means that they are ignorant of its existence, unless your head is completely up your ass then you should know that what we do know, in respect to anything and everything is just a tiny fraction of what actually exists in reality.. why dont you blog it or somethin, we have heard your opinion over and over again and i for one am sick of it

·
Registered
1 Posts
SunNSnow,I dont know what your angle is but ill give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not a troll.This problem is very real, to be quite honest i wish i was delusional. I wish that all this was just in my head and that i could just go see a shrink and everything would be better! Sadly its not the case. >>Almost all the people who suffer from this admit that physiciansor family and friends can not smell this odor. If the odor of feceswas indeed being released from your friend's body, wouldn'tyou be scared and urge them to get medical care? But instead,they can not smell <<Firstly i disagree that 'almost all' people say that physicians and friends/family cannot smell the odor. I have read plenty of stories of people being told BY their friends and family. Also perhaps common sense might prevail with understanding why friends or family sometimes might deny theres a problem. If my friend or brother or sister smelt like faeces i think i might find it rather difficult in telling them that they had a problem. "Oh , by the way brother you smell like sh!t" Doesnt always work that way in the real world.From personal experience i know there is a problem and not just because of what i can smell but also because of what others have said, be it indirectly or directly to me. For example being asked if i have passed wind when i havent just the one time is something i could forget about. Perhaps a few times, ok who knows. But to be asked it constantly tells me that my problem is very real. Unless perhaps what you say is true and its all 'in my head' Perhaps the people that said these things dont exist either! Hey, maybe i dreamed it all. But then i dont have OCD or any other disorder. Apart from my odor problem, im in pretty damn good health, mentally aswell as physicially.Just to emphasize my first point, i wish it was all in my head. I think the tens of thousands of other people who share this problem would probably say the same thing. With that said, im sure some people do imagine the problem but the majority DO NOT.Lastly, since you believe this problem not to be real. Whats your take on TMAU? One of the possible symptoms of TMAU is a faecal smell, what do you make of that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.