Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Has anyone got experience with Fecal Calprotectin. My results were normal 17< the doc says pretty much rule out IBD, and had a normal virtual colonoscopy 8 months ago.Now I am getting hard to pass pellet like stools, no diarrhoea, gas, pain that goes with BM or recently pain that goes passing gas.what worries me is the constipation, but for me to be constipated means going once a day for a BM, hard to pass and less amount than usual.in the next few days gets better only with drinking more water and fruits in the diet?Can Calprotectin be normal in people wit Bowel Cancer??

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Typically with bowel cancer that marker is elevated, the virtual colonoscopy being normal also rules out cancer. I know lots of people assume that any bowel symptom must mean cancer, but usually it means anything but.You can have a constipated stool (hard, dry, hard to pass) with normal bowel frequency if you don't get enough fiber and water to make a normal stool from.Drinking enough water and eating things like fruit are things that even completely normal people may need to do to keep the stool a normal consistency.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,My wife has suffered both IBS and IBD (Ulcerative Colitis) for years and it has obviously been an interest of mine. For my wife there is clear correlation between stress and also her monthly cycle, but early diagnosis was difficult. Calprotectin is now coming to the forefront as a marker for IBD, which may have avoided a lot of invasive procedures for IBS patients! I have had an article commissioned (as I'm am a science marketeer by coincidence) to highlight this marker. You may find it useful. It takes Calprotectin from discovery to use as a marker.Clearly blood by-products in the stools need following up, but does not necessarily mean bowel cancer. The test appears to be an excellent way of monitoring IBD activity/flares and diferentiating it from IBS.You will find the information on http://www.calprotectin.net/faecal-calprotectin/I hope thus helps. (There is a sponsor on the home page to allow it to be paid for). The otehr pages however all relate to Calprotectin information.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, Has anyone got experience with Fecal Calprotectin. My results were normal 17< the doc says pretty much rule out IBD, and had a normal virtual colonoscopy 8 months ago.Now I am getting hard to pass pellet like stools, no diarrhoea, gas, pain that goes with BM or recently pain that goes passing gas.what worries me is the constipation, but for me to be constipated means going once a day for a BM, hard to pass and less amount than usual.in the next few days gets better only with drinking more water and fruits in the diet?Can Calprotectin be normal in people wit Bowel Cancer??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.