Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time posting on this site.Early last year I was experiencing heartburn. No over the counter medication worked. I was placed on Nexium for 2 months and that wasn't strong enough. I have been having problems with my digestion for 6 years. Instead of checking it out with a doctor, I just avoided my trigger foods. While I was having trouble with the heartburn, things just got progressively worse. I started bloating everytime I ate and had severe abdominal pains. I hardly had constipation and never had diarrhea. I was having a hard time walking, breathing, and sleeping. I even had to take sick leave from work. I went through 5 months of tests and everything came back negative. I was tested positive for lactose, fructose, whole wheat, sugar, preservative/additive intolerances, plus the heartburn. I found out that I am hypoglycemic as well. So, my diet was very limited by this point. I have cut out all of these trigger foods from my diet and it is going a bit better. I am not on any sort of medication. My gastro did prescribe bentylol a few months ago, it is a muscle relaxant. I took it and ended up in the hospital. All my muscles went lax. I was having dinner at a restaurant and I had to be pulled out by paramedics. I couldn't move and the muscles in my throat were constricted so I couldn't talk properly. (it was quite embarassing leaving a restaurant by a gurney) I feel very alone because I feel like no one understands my frustration. I feel like I have to repeat myself over and over again, and I am tired of doing so. I want to sleep again. I am sick and tired of being exhausted all the time, mentally and physically. I will be joining a yoga class soon, hopefully this will help. I have been reading books on this disorder and it has helped (The First Year of IBS...by Heather Van Vorous and Eating for IBS by the same author). I am also seeing a dietician who has been very helpful. I have been taking herbal supplements. I have been eating better, but not good enough. I still have some kind of fear of food. Sometimes when the fear is strong, I won't eat at all. Which is not good because I will experience a sugar low and pass out. I am confused, irritated and annoyed. I feel alone. Is there someone out there who can help? I just want to find someone to talk with and share my anxieties.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, I hope by reading the posts here you realize you are not alone at all. There are lots of us out here.I think alot of us probably have a fear of food in some sort or other. I force myself to eat because I also ended up in the hospital everyday for a week. I was passing out at home and I live alone.I have been on disability for over 3 years because of this as well as the depression that comes along with the IBS.Keep posting and keep reading. We are all here to support you.siennamover57

·
Registered
222 Posts
You are not alone, when I was first married (27 years ago) I went through what you are going through and it is horrible. Part of you feels that you are lucky that you don't have anything serious but another small part says that if you could have a "real" ailment people would understand. Lucky for me I had a very understanding spouse, who supports my ups and downs to this day. That said, I still find myself making excuses to family and friends when I am unable to function well. Thank goodness for these type of forums,, as they allow all of us to reach out and touch someone. Please hang in there and know that you are not all alone. Yoga will be good, so is exercise,, even if you do not feel like it.. Go for at least a 10 minute walk every every day,, twice if it helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts