Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-I haven't checked in in awhile- I've actually been doing very well the past month or so- what a relief!What has made the difference for me (I'm IBS-D) has been Ibsacol and Cholestyramine(Questran). I also drink a lot more water now.Just wanted to share that- I'll also post over on the products board, but if there are any new folks who aren't familiar with these, and have tried others (calcium, etc.), this might help.I still take a half an Immodium when I know I'm going into a stressful situation (traveling, business meeting, etc.), but other than that, most of the time I don't think about my IBS at all (except feeling gratitude for not suffering for an extended period!)there's hope!
:eek:ther susan

·
Registered
99 Posts
I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TYPE OF DRUG QUESTRAN IS? SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR ANSWER AND I AM HAPPY FOR YOU. I KNOW EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND THE SAME DRUGS DO NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE. THANK GOD IT IS HELPING YOU.SHARON

·
Registered
99 Posts
I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TYPE OF DRUG QUESTRAN IS? SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR ANSWER AND I AM HAPPY FOR YOU. I KNOW EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND THE SAME DRUGS DO NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE. THANK GOD IT IS HELPING YOU.SHARON

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Questran is a bile binding agent most typically used for lowering cholesterol. It is not absorbed by the body and generally doesn't have the same liver side effects as the Statin type drugs.Questran is also used a fair amount in people who have known bile problems. Either the gall bladder was removed, or they have the part of the small intestine that recycles the bile back to the liver damaged (it lowers cholesterol because bile is made from cholesterol and if you don't recycle it you have to use up more cholesterol to make fresh).Questran additionally tends to be constipating (something like 30% of normal people who take it get constipated) so it may be doing something that just tends to stop people up and when you add constipation to diarrhea sometimes you can average out to normal.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Questran is a bile binding agent most typically used for lowering cholesterol. It is not absorbed by the body and generally doesn't have the same liver side effects as the Statin type drugs.Questran is also used a fair amount in people who have known bile problems. Either the gall bladder was removed, or they have the part of the small intestine that recycles the bile back to the liver damaged (it lowers cholesterol because bile is made from cholesterol and if you don't recycle it you have to use up more cholesterol to make fresh).Questran additionally tends to be constipating (something like 30% of normal people who take it get constipated) so it may be doing something that just tends to stop people up and when you add constipation to diarrhea sometimes you can average out to normal.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
255 Posts
My physicians office told me once that Questran is a very under-used medication that could help many more people if doctors were more aware of how much it can help people with "D" problems. If it hasn't been suggested for you, don't be afraid to ask about it on your next visit. kmottus was right on it equaling things out. It's never made me constipated. It firms things up, and I no longer have urgent runs after eating. I still have frequency and urgency in the AM, and some Gas in the PM, but my life has been greatly improved with Questran. Plus the chol. lowering aspect is a great plus for those of us that have higher readings than we should! High cholestral runs in my family regardless of diet changes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My physicians office told me once that Questran is a very under-used medication that could help many more people if doctors were more aware of how much it can help people with "D" problems. If it hasn't been suggested for you, don't be afraid to ask about it on your next visit. kmottus was right on it equaling things out. It's never made me constipated. It firms things up, and I no longer have urgent runs after eating. I still have frequency and urgency in the AM, and some Gas in the PM, but my life has been greatly improved with Questran. Plus the chol. lowering aspect is a great plus for those of us that have higher readings than we should! High cholestral runs in my family regardless of diet changes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.