Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted a message, but I also have an entirely different question. Please let me know if anyone has had the same symptoms! A few times a year I will be awakened in the middle of the night with what feels like stomach/intestinal contractions. I will feel a sharp intense pressure from my diaphragm down to my abdomen. It feels like a giant gas pain. I can actually feel th cramps move from one end of my body to another. It feels as if my whole stomach is in a tight knot. The pain subsides for a while then comes back. I also feel chills and nausea, but no vomiting. The attacks last a few hours and end with a small nonproductive BM. In the morning I can go about my business. I have found that they occur after I eat ice cream/ fatty cheeses etc. I have never had a child, but can imagine that the pain is similar to childbirth. Have to say it is the worst pain I have ever experienced. Sound familiar?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, sounds very familiar. Though my pains tend come more from the lower pelvic region. I'll wake up and spend about an hour on the toilet with not much relief. I find if I take a couple ibuprofen it helps with the pain. Happens 4 or 5 times a year and I can't pinpoint what triggers them. Have had the same experiences through the day as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Starburst, that is exactly what happened to me last night! I lost about 3 hours of sleep because the "spasms" kept me up. This is starting to happen to me more oten, and the spasms really kick in when I am at work, which makes things almost unbearable. The noises associated with the painful intestinal movement are also embarrassing, which brings on anxiety, which elevates my pain. Have you been diagnosed with IBS? It sounds to me like your symptoms are similar to mine. I'd like to hear more about what happens to you if you don't mind. I am going to see a doctor this week for the first time about my discomfort, and am wondering what to expect. Hence, I haven't been officially diagnosed with anything, but I know I have something which continues to get worse and appear daily. I think she'll just refer me to a GE though. Take care.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am actually experincing that pain right now as I type. It hurts really bad but I find that sometimes if I take a hot shower after taking a bm it makes me calm down and feel better. I have c sometimes and D others its hard to detyermine what I'm going to have that day but I definately feel your pain. It really does feel like contractions so i'm scared to even think about having a baby because it feels even 10% of what I experience everyday I don't want to go through it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The pains you describe are contractions of the colon/spasms. They can be rythmic just like when you are having a baby but the good thing about childbirth is that when it ends and the is a baby. What helps me get through the spasms/pains is to actually breathe in such a way as to get through them with some control and comfort. You might want to try using Mikes tapes, IBS 101, they are excellent helping to relax and you can focus on your breathing. I was very skeptical of hypnosis at first but it does really work, doesnt make things 100% great but at least for me helps take the edge off things. Know that you are not alone. Hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your advice! Colt, my spasms usually occur after I have eaten fatty lactose-containing foods like ice cream, cheeses, etc., although I had one once after eating raw veggies. I will feel it come on high in my diaphragm, and within an hour, I am doing Lamaze breathing the pain is so bad. Sometimes I can sleep on and off, but the pain will always keep waking me up! It lasts for a few hours, and leaves me feeling like I have just had an ab workout the next day! I almost feel as if vomiting would give me relief, but never have! I am in the process of getting tests to rule out other disorders! So far, no Crohn's, but I am having problems with my gallbladder emptying. I have read about IBS a lot in the last year, and pretty much, most signs point to it! It's very frustrating to get that diagnosis, because you feel that the doctor is telling you that he doesn't know what is wrong with you!But, actually I will be relieved if that is what is wrong, because then I can learn to try to control it! I'll share any new info I receive!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
That is the worse pain...and if I hadnt started to get better I would not have been able to make it many more years...The pain was sooooooooooo bad that is why I couldnt believe I had IBS-D and that triggered my CVS...I was hoping they would find some mysterious disease or something...What worked for me was learning about food intolerance and it's relationship with IBS...Maybe your Doctor can prescribe you some medicine to help you get through the pain...Everyone finds relief in different methods...Hang around here on the BB and read all you can about IBS and what works for others......One thing that dont work for me is Apple.....

·
Registered
192 Posts
I get a very similar type of spasm, but mine starts in my extreme lower left side, then radiates through my entire lower intestines. Feels like a knot or someone twisting my colon
. I don't have children either, but I imagine that pain might be similar. Mine usually last between 10 and 20 minutes, but I sometimes get them off and on all day for a few days at a time. I'm thinking about trying Levsin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.