Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,Can anyone comment on whether or not they get a mild fever (to 101 F) with their IBS symptoms? I recently got either food poisoning (should I have fever with that?) or the flu, and I'm trying to determine if it is actually my IBS working overtime -- the D (I'm IBS-C) and gas started at 1:30AM (woke me up) the morning after I got laid off... But I did eat at a questionable restaurant the day before (thanks boss!)...
Thanks.-Mike

·
Registered
467 Posts
I get fever with IBS symptoms too but, "they" say that I also have Crohns which commonly is associated with fever. But, I am TOTALLY C, not D which is typically associated with Crohns. I almost NEVER have D.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I get fever with IBS symptoms too but, "they" say that I also have Crohns which commonly is associated with fever. But, I am TOTALLY C, not D which is typically associated with Crohns. I almost NEVER have D.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had food poisoning once (it made IBS seem like fun in comparison) and though I didn't have a fever with it, the doctor said it isn't uncommon to develop a mild fever with the food poisoning. On the other hand, when I have IBS attacks I usually feel really "hot" and even sweat a lot, but my body temperature according to a thermometer is normal. So my completely non-professional guess is that you have food poisoning. You should be okay within 24 - 48 hours. If the fever and diarrhea last longer than that you should definitely head to the doctor for an emergency visit.-- Jared

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had food poisoning once (it made IBS seem like fun in comparison) and though I didn't have a fever with it, the doctor said it isn't uncommon to develop a mild fever with the food poisoning. On the other hand, when I have IBS attacks I usually feel really "hot" and even sweat a lot, but my body temperature according to a thermometer is normal. So my completely non-professional guess is that you have food poisoning. You should be okay within 24 - 48 hours. If the fever and diarrhea last longer than that you should definitely head to the doctor for an emergency visit.-- Jared

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
interesting jared - i have the same hot feeling during an attack. recently i have also developed a vasovagal response to the spasms, and i break out in a sweat right before that too, but as you mentioned, the thermometer reading says normal. just our bodies saying
i guess. lol~mrs mason

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
interesting jared - i have the same hot feeling during an attack. recently i have also developed a vasovagal response to the spasms, and i break out in a sweat right before that too, but as you mentioned, the thermometer reading says normal. just our bodies saying
i guess. lol~mrs mason

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Explanation of body temperature changes and perception of body temperature changes by some IBS patients:Many victims of d-predominant and "cyclic" IBS experience both perceived and actual changes in body temperature as coincident "systemic" symptoms in addition to their gut specific symptoms.This is an effect of specific mediators (example: cytokines Interleukin 1 and TNF-alpha and several others) that are normally released in the acute phase of certain types of inflammtory reactions. This is only supposed to occur in response to specific infection, as you have all experienced when you have had one (gut infection or otherwise).However, since it is now known that the (general term for simplicity) "inflamatory response system" (an aray of immunologic reactions deisgned to be self-protective) can be and is abnormally activated by one to several immunologic and non-immunologic mechanisms as a precursor to and as part of the development of a so-called "episode", (as well as chronic perisstent activation) an array of proinflammtory mediators are released from various classes of immunocytes(beginning in the small bowel tissue and microvasculature).Some mediators can create the perception of temperature change as they alter blood vessel tone (in addition to permeability) which can cause a sensation of hot, cold, flashes or clamminess depending upon the specific combinations which are released or synthesized at the time.Also there are other cytokines which can penetrate the blood-brain barrier and act directly upon the hypothalmus when released. Among their intended effects are altered body temperature via this CNS mechanism, and others which act upon peripheral muscle and fat cells altering energy mobilization and thus temperature rise in tissue themselves.Now in a person who has had either an episode of actual food poisoning, or food contmaination, which actvated the IRS these mechanisms would have been activated and their effects can persist beyond the acute phase.In an IBS patient this will also reduce oral tolerance further than it has already been compromised, lowering the threshold of response to any food or chemical sensitivity or exists, as well as lowering the respnse threahold of the IRS to other endogenous and exogenous stress events, and thus amplifying the effects for some time. This is all well known.Even in persons who have no immediate precursor clincial infection whatsoever, these symptoms can and do many times precede an epdisode since this is part and parcel of the array of things taking place when you have provoked the IRS to activate regardless of the mechnism of activation, such as by consuming something that tolersance has been reduced or lost to and thus creating an inapprorpiate reaction (humoral and cellular mediated reactions can both occur and produce this effect).So while one does not see such things as "fever" and "hot flashes" or "dizziness" or "fog brain" in the "Rome Criteria", this does not mean that they do not occur nor are experienced. heck, less than a year and a hlf ago "the prevailing thinking" among some of the parties considered "leaders" in IBS was still things like "there is 'no inflammtion' in IBS even though though IRS activation in IBS patients had been shown time and time agin by other investigators over a 20 year period. This just illustrates how rapidly understanding can progress when we combine the observations and finidngs of gorups studying different aspects of any poorly-understood condition. The paradigm can change in an instant.So while these other systemic symptoms indeed are not "diagnostic" of IBS, a wholly correct statment to make, they are however known secondary symptoms with a known and proven set of mechanisms which provoke and then create them, which occur in a population of IBS victims which is subtantial, but most found within the d-types and cyclics since these are the symptom sets most closely associated with the IRS mechanisms which result in acute bowel evacuation as a protective mechanism, triggered inappropriately.Eat well. Think well. Be wellMNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Explanation of body temperature changes and perception of body temperature changes by some IBS patients:Many victims of d-predominant and "cyclic" IBS experience both perceived and actual changes in body temperature as coincident "systemic" symptoms in addition to their gut specific symptoms.This is an effect of specific mediators (example: cytokines Interleukin 1 and TNF-alpha and several others) that are normally released in the acute phase of certain types of inflammtory reactions. This is only supposed to occur in response to specific infection, as you have all experienced when you have had one (gut infection or otherwise).However, since it is now known that the (general term for simplicity) "inflamatory response system" (an aray of immunologic reactions deisgned to be self-protective) can be and is abnormally activated by one to several immunologic and non-immunologic mechanisms as a precursor to and as part of the development of a so-called "episode", (as well as chronic perisstent activation) an array of proinflammtory mediators are released from various classes of immunocytes(beginning in the small bowel tissue and microvasculature).Some mediators can create the perception of temperature change as they alter blood vessel tone (in addition to permeability) which can cause a sensation of hot, cold, flashes or clamminess depending upon the specific combinations which are released or synthesized at the time.Also there are other cytokines which can penetrate the blood-brain barrier and act directly upon the hypothalmus when released. Among their intended effects are altered body temperature via this CNS mechanism, and others which act upon peripheral muscle and fat cells altering energy mobilization and thus temperature rise in tissue themselves.Now in a person who has had either an episode of actual food poisoning, or food contmaination, which actvated the IRS these mechanisms would have been activated and their effects can persist beyond the acute phase.In an IBS patient this will also reduce oral tolerance further than it has already been compromised, lowering the threshold of response to any food or chemical sensitivity or exists, as well as lowering the respnse threahold of the IRS to other endogenous and exogenous stress events, and thus amplifying the effects for some time. This is all well known.Even in persons who have no immediate precursor clincial infection whatsoever, these symptoms can and do many times precede an epdisode since this is part and parcel of the array of things taking place when you have provoked the IRS to activate regardless of the mechnism of activation, such as by consuming something that tolersance has been reduced or lost to and thus creating an inapprorpiate reaction (humoral and cellular mediated reactions can both occur and produce this effect).So while one does not see such things as "fever" and "hot flashes" or "dizziness" or "fog brain" in the "Rome Criteria", this does not mean that they do not occur nor are experienced. heck, less than a year and a hlf ago "the prevailing thinking" among some of the parties considered "leaders" in IBS was still things like "there is 'no inflammtion' in IBS even though though IRS activation in IBS patients had been shown time and time agin by other investigators over a 20 year period. This just illustrates how rapidly understanding can progress when we combine the observations and finidngs of gorups studying different aspects of any poorly-understood condition. The paradigm can change in an instant.So while these other systemic symptoms indeed are not "diagnostic" of IBS, a wholly correct statment to make, they are however known secondary symptoms with a known and proven set of mechanisms which provoke and then create them, which occur in a population of IBS victims which is subtantial, but most found within the d-types and cyclics since these are the symptom sets most closely associated with the IRS mechanisms which result in acute bowel evacuation as a protective mechanism, triggered inappropriately.Eat well. Think well. Be wellMNL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello everyone,Thank you very much for your quick responses and the wealth of information you shared.I'm feeling better for the most part, but ever since the initial attacks early Friday morning, I have completely lost my appetite -- no hunger pains or hunger grumbling (though plenty of IBS pains and IBS grumbling)... I've been forcing myself to eat and drink. The fever appears to be gone.Thanks again.-Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello everyone,Thank you very much for your quick responses and the wealth of information you shared.I'm feeling better for the most part, but ever since the initial attacks early Friday morning, I have completely lost my appetite -- no hunger pains or hunger grumbling (though plenty of IBS pains and IBS grumbling)... I've been forcing myself to eat and drink. The fever appears to be gone.Thanks again.-Mike

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Birder , glad you are feeling better.Mike, I didn't want Birder to neglect his fever. I think if you say fever is an IBS symptom, the danger is there that something serious is neglected. One must always rule out other causes of fever before assuming it is an IBS symptom. Ok, Maybe I should have said fever is not diagnostic of IBS.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Birder , glad you are feeling better.Mike, I didn't want Birder to neglect his fever. I think if you say fever is an IBS symptom, the danger is there that something serious is neglected. One must always rule out other causes of fever before assuming it is an IBS symptom. Ok, Maybe I should have said fever is not diagnostic of IBS.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If the fever starts to recur,and recur,I would suggest you see a doctor.(just to rule out other health conditions.)several years ago,I had to be in the hospital for 4 days,symptoms of severe abd pain. and low-grade fever....after tons of tests, they told me in addition to the ibs,I have diverticulosis(and one of the tics was flaring up so I had diverticulitis,also).I suspect this could have been aggravated from years of having constipation,and having to strain to have a BM.Anytime you have severe abd pain and a fever,you need to be seen ASAP,imho.Good luck,hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
228 Posts
If the fever starts to recur,and recur,I would suggest you see a doctor.(just to rule out other health conditions.)several years ago,I had to be in the hospital for 4 days,symptoms of severe abd pain. and low-grade fever....after tons of tests, they told me in addition to the ibs,I have diverticulosis(and one of the tics was flaring up so I had diverticulitis,also).I suspect this could have been aggravated from years of having constipation,and having to strain to have a BM.Anytime you have severe abd pain and a fever,you need to be seen ASAP,imho.Good luck,hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Bonnie...Understood, and I am among the first usually to direct someone with an acute symptom to the doc first.I was just trying to answer the original question and the ones that followed regarding perceived temperature changes during ISB epsiodes. Sometimes posting is like a pendulum effect: take the time to write completely in context of all aspects of the situation expressed then produces criticism of excessive length and bandwidth consumption. So then one becomes too technical too fast to save time and avoid said criticism an comes off detached. Poor balance this time.
MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Bonnie...Understood, and I am among the first usually to direct someone with an acute symptom to the doc first.I was just trying to answer the original question and the ones that followed regarding perceived temperature changes during ISB epsiodes. Sometimes posting is like a pendulum effect: take the time to write completely in context of all aspects of the situation expressed then produces criticism of excessive length and bandwidth consumption. So then one becomes too technical too fast to save time and avoid said criticism an comes off detached. Poor balance this time.
MNL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.