Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past several years I notice I often have "hot flashes" and cannot stand coats or blankets even in the winter. This happens shortly after eating. So I've been taking my temp lately and it's always between 99.9 and 101. Is this slight fever a symptom of IBS-D or is it possible I've developed Crohn's or something else?

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
ROBIN:You should of course talk to your doctor, but this transeint temperature rise accompanying an IBS-d episode is one of the "extraintestinal symptoms" associated with release of proinflammtory mediators during the type of cellular reactiosn that can be seen in the small (and even large) bowel of what are commonly called "diarrheic type IBS patients".There are somewhere around 100 different types of mediators that immunocytes can let fly, or synthesize, when activated and it vafries wildly with what type of responses are occurring.A class of chemicals that is released by certain immunocytes during "inflammatory reactions" (and we can see these in the gut walls and blood vessels of people commonly diagnosed with d-type IBS)called "cytokines" act directly upon the temp regulating center of the brain (hypothalmus) and increase body temperature.Various cytokines (and other mediators) have been recovered from the small bowel washings of patients with IBS symptoms provoked by jejunal isolation-food challenge, and varios investigators have seen the weird inflammtory reaction patterns in the gut wall in variosu locations from the proximal to the distal bowel in recvent years.Other mediatprs dilate blood vessels and thus in combo the hot-cold flashes or chills some patients experience as well when they get their d-attacks.Regardless of the primary source of activation, this is one of the mechanisms whereby we experience this. I am among those who used to get this every time I had an episode (along with many other extraintestinal symptoms)...and avoiding that which provoked the reactions results in no mediator release and no symptoms.One must be sure, though, that this pattern is indeed confirmesd with your doctor so as to ensure it is indeed "benign". But if it happens in this fashion at all times then it is considtent with the symptom set associated with this populaton of 'IBS" victims.MNL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow Mike! You know so much ... are you a doctor? Or do you work in a lab? Anyway ... I've recently moved from Virginia to Massachusetts so I've had to locate a new G/I. Symptoms have been so bad lately that I can't eat anything at all in order to just get through the daily routine (mother of 4 wild kids.) I've got an appt this Wednesday for a consult. Based on my symptoms, and what I've been reading, I'm terrified that I may have developed Crohn's and will never be able to enjoy life again. One thing that really freaks me out is the thought of going on Prednisone ... I'll definitely refuse. I want to feel GOOD - not turn one set of impossible symptoms into another set of impossible symptoms. Right now I feel like a burden on my family. I work extremely hard just to do routine things (cooking, cleaning, laundry) but have to say "no" to anything fun because of gut. I had to quit two wonderful jobs that I loved as well.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi Robin.I don't know that much but I know have acces to some doctors and dietyicians who do. No not a doctor by a longshot, I was (when I was young) just too lazy (and too poor) to do all the years of work to become a doctor. Instead, I am just a "retired" Registered Respiratory Therapist. After being helped into remission from my lifelong "IBS-d" over eight years ago by a research immunologist and the doctors and dieticians working with him clinically at the time on his early, primitive but effective new technlogy, "joined their team".A summary of my case is posted here: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c;f=17;t=000033 As a result I simply have had the benefit of 30+ years in patient care in hospitals and research facilities alike, combined with lifelong IBS and the lifelong failures of the conventional approach to my condition. Combine that with about 8 years of daily being able to watch, read a lot of stuff, listen and learn from immunologists, allergists, gastro's, dieticians and several other types. I set up several medical clinics for doctors and dieticians to bring in IBS and Migraine patients, for example, and help develop specific Disease Management Programs which any physician could use to improve the clinical outcomes of the care they render specific patients with specific symptoms using novel patented technology developed by these people as a tool to enhance the disease managment of the syndrome.So what does not rub off at least I can just read and try to feed back what others who are knowledgeable have found, so that sufferers can then make their own judgements about whether it makes sense to them or not.Our comapny operates a CLIA licensed laboratory that does proprietary testing for chemical and food hypsersensivities, and provides lifestlye managment programs to doctors, dieticians and home care patients. Latley i have been travelling around the country alot introducing these protocols to people to show their physicians, and my staff helps physicians learn how to use the knowledge and protocols of those I worked with and apply it in their own practices.That is about it in a nutshell. I spend most of my tie now over here on the Diet and Nutrition Board as it is populated by people using dietary therapy to help manage their symptoms.DIET AND NUTRITION BULLETIN BOARD http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...=4&DaysPrune=30 Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.