Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm basically pretty small (about 5'2", 107 lbs), consider myself in pretty good shape from weightlifting/exercise that I do. Here's my issue: I've had IBS since I was like 12 years old (I'm 42 now) and in the past six months it started acting up again. I started taking some fiber supplements (some stuff called "Soluble Fiber" by Yerba Prima...GREAT stuff!) and have noticed my stomach is doing MUCH better. I've always alternated between extreme constipation (5-7 days with no bowel movements) to constant diarrhea; and since I started taking this stuff, I have a bowel movement every other day and seem almost like a "normal" person!BUT (and yes, there's always a downside, right?)...I look soooo bloated. I almost look misshapen...I can't wear jeans because I can't button them. Even people who I work with have noticed, asking me if I'm pregnant (which I'm definitely NOT!). Should I be worried about this? Or do I just chalk it up to growing older and if this is what I have to do to have a normal stomach, then so be it???Just wondering if any of you had the same issues...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If it has psyllium fiber in it you may be producing gas from that. Non-fermentable fibers sometimes help with that (methylcellulose and polycarbophil).You could try taking simethicone (gas-X and others) and see if that helps, or try taking a probiotic bacteria as these produce less gas when they ferment the things in your GI tract.If the bloating doesn't seem to be related to gas you could try taking a digestive enzyme supplement with meals which helps some people.K. ------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tania, I'm with you. I've taken Metamucil everyday for the past 4 years or so, before that only when needed. And my belly continues to grow even though I eat like a bird. It looks like a beer belly, when I will only drink 2 or 3 beers a month.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.