Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Do fiber supplements actually slow down your digestion or do they simply bulk up your stool and create more waste/stool? I haven't noticed any slower digestion from taking fiber, simply greater quantity of waste. Same spasms and gurgling associated with fast digestion and D.Do any studies exist that would prove its actually slowing digestion?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
They usually say high fiber foods slow the rate you absorb things (so help with blood sugar control so the blood sugar goes up slower with starches and sugars when you eat them in a higher fiber meal compared to a low/no fiber meal or snack) but I don't know that there is proof it slows down your colon. Also any gas generated from a fermentable fiber would add to the gurgling.

·
Registered
224 Posts
They usually say high fiber foods slow the rate you absorb things (so help with blood sugar control so the blood sugar goes up slower with starches and sugars when you eat them in a higher fiber meal compared to a low/no fiber meal or snack) but I don't know that there is proof it slows down your colon. Also any gas generated from a fermentable fiber would add to the gurgling.
Hmm....well I'm not sure if a slower absorption rate is a good thing? I would think that you would want to absorb nutrients and such at a faster rate if things are going through you too quickly, no?The gas, spasms and gurgles don't increase when I take fiber but are merely the same as when i don't take fiber which is why i question whether it was slowing down my digestion or not.Seems like a waste of money then to keep on taking it.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Are you losing all sorts of weight no matter how much you eat?Doesn't matter how bad the diarrhea is when it is all in the colon like IBS diarrhea is. You'd gain plenty of weight if we cut a hole into you and dumped the end of your small intestine into a bag. you don't need the colon to get nutrients.If fiber helps, then it is a safe and fairly cheap thing to do. If you are the same with or without it, then I'd move on to something else (or if the fiber makes you worse)Generally slower absorption is better than all at once as quick as possible. The rapid rise and fall of blood sugar isn't good for long term health. Much better to have a slow steady rise after meals spread out over a bit of time than have blood sugar spike and then crash.I mean we aren't talking huge differences in time, either, but instead of all the sugar in 5 minutes it might take 30 minutes to get the same amount of sugar into the blood.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Are you losing all sorts of weight no matter how much you eat?Doesn't matter how bad the diarrhea is when it is all in the colon like IBS diarrhea is. You'd gain plenty of weight if we cut a hole into you and dumped the end of your small intestine into a bag. you don't need the colon to get nutrients.If fiber helps, then it is a safe and fairly cheap thing to do. If you are the same with or without it, then I'd move on to something else (or if the fiber makes you worse)
I don't really understand your analogy? Are you saying that as long as food makes it to the colon we are getting all the nutrients out of it no matter how fast it gets there?I have gained some of the weight back that i initially lost but i'm probably 5 lbs less then where i should be. So...no, im not losing weight at the moment.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You absorb calories in the small intestine.Doesn't matter what happens when the food gets to the colon. You are pulling water back out once it gets there. You do get maybe 1% more calories out of the food in the colon depending on what bacteria you have and what you eat. But that is stuff you wouldn't have digested anyway.People with their colon removed do not lose weight all out of proportion to what they eat. They gain and lose weight just like any healthy person on the same number of calories.As long as you gain or maintain weight on a reasonable number of calories your small intestine is doing just fine and you don't need to worry about it.The small intestine is long enough that it usually doesn't matter if it takes a few minutes longer or shorter to get food through it. Usually when the small intestine can't absorb nutrients the time it is touching the food plays no role in the disease process. It is when the lining is so damaged it can't absorb the food even if you kept it in there for days rather than for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You absorb calories in the small intestine.Doesn't matter what happens when the food gets to the colon. You are pulling water back out once it gets there. You do get maybe 1% more calories out of the food in the colon depending on what bacteria you have and what you eat. But that is stuff you wouldn't have digested anyway.People with their colon removed do not lose weight all out of proportion to what they eat. They gain and lose weight just like any healthy person on the same number of calories.As long as you gain or maintain weight on a reasonable number of calories your small intestine is doing just fine and you don't need to worry about it.The small intestine is long enough that it usually doesn't matter if it takes a few minutes longer or shorter to get food through it. Usually when the small intestine can't absorb nutrients the time it is touching the food plays no role in the disease process. It is when the lining is so damaged it can't absorb the food even if you kept it in there for days rather than for a couple of hours.
Ah, Ok, I understand now. Thank you for the explanation.Well, i still think that this fiber may be a waste of time and simply bulking my stool rather then slowing my digestion process down?

·
Registered
708 Posts
well there is a difference in fibreinsoluble fibre speeds contents along and is healthy for us to get rid of our toxic stools ...reduces cancer rates etc...Soluble fibre absorbs water and creates a gel like consistency, keep stools soft and regular...it can be used for diarrhea and constipation

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Remember there are two types of fibre;insoluble- bran etc,which passes through us largely undigested andsoluble-Oatmeal,White rice etc, which I believe means that it dissolves in water.Soluble works much,much better for me and a lot of other ibs as it takes longer to pass through the digestive system.In theory anyway.I avoid Bran,Brown Bread and a few other high fibre items as they are extremely irritating to my bowel.Wheat products can also be difficult to tolerate for some of us and I can understand why a Gluten free diet can help even if you don't suffer from Coeliac disease.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When do you take your fiber? If taken at night before bed, you will sleep through the bloating and discomfort. Also, soluable is better than insoluable for IBS I think. Also, exercise will help regulate the movement of your digestive muscles so that they maintain a more normal rhythm rather than spasming and squeezing food through your system too quickly. I feel the worst when I don't exercise.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've been taking Metamucil for the past three weeks 2-3 times daily and while it is bulking up my stools im going twice in the morning instead of once and with much more waste, the same emptying out effect just with harder and more stools. God, I wish something would work for me. I've also competely given up coffee (something that i love and atleast kept me semi-motivated) in the hopes that in addition to the fiber i would see some type of greater improvement, nope!I usually exercise daily but its only a temporary relief and mild at that, sometimes i get pains and spasms while exercising and man is it a ######. I think exercising makes everyone (regarldless of medical condition) feel better, therefor I don't agree with Dr's who substitute it for some kind of treatment for IBS. I've always exercised all my life and have always been in shape so there is no association (as far as im concerned) with not exercising as a cause of IBS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.