Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I went to the Health food store today, well actually all 3 in my sorounding area. well, there are tons of different fiber suppliments and brands and pills, powders etc...So, My questions is Who is taking Bran for IBS-D, also having weeks of C?.I read Fiber is a laxative suppliment, but my doctor said to take it because of the C I get since I am on Zoloft.I do know the Zoloft makes me C, however I still get the IBS-D every 4 to 6 weeks.I just need some useful advice on who has tried what and what I should be looking for.Thanks in advance,-ShellyAnn

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Hi there! I've been on fiber for both D and C (I'm C right now). It helps both if you drink enough water - at least it did for me. One of the big things when deciding to start taking fiber (whether its bran, metamucil, citrucil, etc) is to start taking it slowly! I didn't know any better when I first started and took the recommended dose. I had horrible pain and gas. Your body needs to get used to the increase in fiber, so go slow at first. Also, some people just don't do well with those types of fiber. I still had lots and lots of gas and bloating, so I finally started taking Fibercon (or Equalactin) and that helps.Ty

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take psyllium husks in a product called lepicol. you have to drink a ton of water too, but I think it is really helping...a lot!!!I am mostly c, with the odd d day!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Fibre and fibre replacements like crushed fenugreek seeds, basically bulk up the stool. So if you are constipated the bulk helps to push things through and if you have diarreah the bulk helps to form stools.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts