Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have had IBS-D for about 7 years. I just recently went to the Dr. to start ruling out anything more serious and to actually get diagnosed. He did a stool sample (negative) and told me to take 3 teaspoons of metamucil during the day (one at each meal). How long should I do this before I see a difference? So far things are worse. I was having more good days than bad but since taking this I've had a LOT more gas, MANY more movements (3-4 times a day) and heartburn a lot. Is this normal? Should I lower the dosage or keep taking this? TIA

·
Registered
238 Posts
Your reaction is not unheard of, although I've taken 1 tablespoon per day for years, no more than this without problems. Instead, I combine it with FIBERCON. Another option is Citrucel. There are many brands out there - be sure to check to see which ones have the same ingredients. Metamucil contians psyllium which causes distress and gas for some people. Citrucel contains methylcellulose and FIBERCON contains callcium polycarbophil. Bear in mind that you really need to start supplements slowly, so your body can adjust.Note: Metamucil on occasion gives me heartburn also, especially if I take it right before bed. So I only take it at breakfast and then use FIBERCON pills the rest of the day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.