Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What everyone should know that metamusil and other fibre suplements don't help nearly as much as REGULAR BRAN.If you go to your grocery store and buy a pound of 100% natural bran, it is very very cheap. bran comes in packages and every grocery store has it. You take 2 teaspoons twice a day , mix it up in yogurt or cereal, just don't take it raw. during the first couple days you will feel a bit gassy but after a couple days you will realize that it does help your bowels to function much much Much better. also drink alot of water throughout the day. Try this and let me know.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I choose Metamucil over bran because I can't eat yogurt and avoid cereals because I can't tolerate cow's milk and eating cereal with soy milk isn't the same. I mix a heaping tablespoon of Metamucil every a.m. with water. I do add a heaping tablespoon of wheat germ (bran???) into my soy protein powder drink every morning. Guess I need a double dose "regulator"!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
CeCe: I can't eat/drink dairy either, so I use rice milk which tastes much better in cereal than soy milk. I mix miller's bran into cooked oatmeal and find that works very well for me.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think that one of the differences between bran and metamucil (psyllium) is that psylllium produces a mucilaginous substance that helps to move the bulk through the bowel. I tried bran many years ago and felt that it was too rough; I felt very inflamed afterwards. Of course, I may have overdone it. Makes great cookies and muffins though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told by a pharmacist that "fake" fibre is okay for IBS as long as it actually bulks up. So simple pills are no good (I have never actually tried these fibre pills).Growing up I was so bad that I ate absolutley no fibre in my teen years (no fruit or raw veggies or salad or pasta. . .) so when I finally accepted the Gastro doctor's advice to incorporate fibre into my diet it took a lot of experimentation to find out what my body would take. The best product I found was PRODIUM PLUS. It was the only one I could take without being in so much pain that I had to stop. It is in granules, so it was simple to start with an insignificantly small amount and increase slowly. When I finally put real fibre into my diet I would have prodium plus once in a while and other fibre once in a while. It took a while, but eventually I was done with the med and now I can handle corn and beans and grains and everything else I lacked before. And I never take Prodium any more.I could never have started with "real" bran. I was just too sensitive. We need to each found out what works best for us. IF you can, I agree that using bran sounds like the best way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.