Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all- I had a question about fiber. I'm IBS type C/D, and if I do not have an adequate source of fiber during the day, I suffer the next three. As a result, I am currently taking Metamucil 2x a day. The thing is I am pretty active and camp often on the weekend. Mixing the Metamucil is a pain on these weekend trips. I was wondering if anyone has any comments on the merits of Ensure or SlimFast as a source of fiber. Ensure cites 12% per can and SlimFast 20% per can. I would strictly be using it on weekends that we are traveling, definitely not for weight loss (I've lost 20# since my diagnosis, and I'm trying unsuccessfully to put it back on.) I also am unsure of whether the fiber is of the same proportion as in Metamucil (soluble to insoluble). So before I try anything, I thought I'd look to you guys for help.Thanks, Carrie

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't know about Slim Fast but I take FiberCon or Citrucel caplets instead of drinking Metamucil. I couldn't tolerate drinking the thick liquid so I have taken my fiber in pill form for years now. It seems to work just as well and would be much easier for you on your camping trips since all you need is a glass of water. Hope this helps and that someone else knows about SlimFast or Ensure.Kim

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't know about Slim Fast but I take FiberCon or Citrucel caplets instead of drinking Metamucil. I couldn't tolerate drinking the thick liquid so I have taken my fiber in pill form for years now. It seems to work just as well and would be much easier for you on your camping trips since all you need is a glass of water. Hope this helps and that someone else knows about SlimFast or Ensure.Kim

·
Registered
428 Posts
CAS,I'm not sure about the sources you site but I do have a couple other suggestions:1)Fibercon2)Fiber ChoiceThese are pills you take...not mixing...just swallow up down with water. These deliver the same % of fiber as metamucil.You will want to try them at home first probably. Some people get gas with different types of fiber. The Metamucil work sbest for me BUT in a crunch the pills are handy.KARL

·
Registered
428 Posts
CAS,I'm not sure about the sources you site but I do have a couple other suggestions:1)Fibercon2)Fiber ChoiceThese are pills you take...not mixing...just swallow up down with water. These deliver the same % of fiber as metamucil.You will want to try them at home first probably. Some people get gas with different types of fiber. The Metamucil work sbest for me BUT in a crunch the pills are handy.KARL

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't do the Metamucil so I take Citrucel or the easier Fiber Choice tablets but if you are more comfortable with psyllium (Metamucil) you might try getting the psyllium husk in capsules. It means swallowing 6 or them for an equal serving of fiber - but my husband finds for traveling, it's a great deal easier.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't do the Metamucil so I take Citrucel or the easier Fiber Choice tablets but if you are more comfortable with psyllium (Metamucil) you might try getting the psyllium husk in capsules. It means swallowing 6 or them for an equal serving of fiber - but my husband finds for traveling, it's a great deal easier.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The ingredient list might help you figure out what they use for fiber.Metamucil makes wafers that really are actually pretty tasty you could take on the trip. You will need to drink water with the wafer, but it should be lighter to carry than slim-fast or ensure.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The ingredient list might help you figure out what they use for fiber.Metamucil makes wafers that really are actually pretty tasty you could take on the trip. You will need to drink water with the wafer, but it should be lighter to carry than slim-fast or ensure.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yerba makes a product called Daily Fiber in capsule form (comes in loose version too) which contains psyllium along with a few other natural fibers. I know you can get it from VitaminShoppe.com but I am sure there are other places too. I can get it locally at my Whole Foods store.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yerba makes a product called Daily Fiber in capsule form (comes in loose version too) which contains psyllium along with a few other natural fibers. I know you can get it from VitaminShoppe.com but I am sure there are other places too. I can get it locally at my Whole Foods store.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all who have thus far answered my post. Right now the Metamucil wafers seem like the best bet because the one thing I failed to mention and is somewhat key is that since my first symptoms of IBS, my gag reflex is super sensitive, and often times I can't even get a Tylenol, Advil, or ibuprofen capsule down without gagging it right back up. That is why I was particularly curious about the drinks.Carrie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all who have thus far answered my post. Right now the Metamucil wafers seem like the best bet because the one thing I failed to mention and is somewhat key is that since my first symptoms of IBS, my gag reflex is super sensitive, and often times I can't even get a Tylenol, Advil, or ibuprofen capsule down without gagging it right back up. That is why I was particularly curious about the drinks.Carrie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.