Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along with the Levsin, my doctor also prescribed fiber therapy. With the IBS-D, fiber therapy doesn't seem to make sense to me. Has anybody tried this with success? I've been doing this for only four days and my symptoms have been much worse!

·
Registered
109 Posts
My doctor also told me to try fiber therapy.It did nothing for me but give me more gas so I stopped.I would say try a little longer as it does help a great many but if you see no improvement I would stop.Hope you are feeling better soon.Maria

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many years ago when I was "officially diagnosed" with IBS (had a colonoscopy)my major symptom was D with weight loss. My GI suggested 2 fibercon a day as well as increasing the fiber in my diet. It took a little while, but not real long (in my case)but I really think it helped me alot. Things actually got formed so to speak and I was truly amazed. The down side is that the fiber makes you produce more stool (bulking action)so I go more. I also get alot of gas, but I am able to pass it all (usually)when I get up in the morning. I am pretty sure there are different types of fiber, metamucil is one and I think citrucel has a different kind. You might want to try a different product with a different ingredient to see if it works better. Hope this helps.------------------Nancy

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Ditto GoesAlot. Try different types of fiber to see what will help you. And fiber will help D! For me I can't take Metamucil, Citrucil or oat bran. Fibercon works wonders for me (when I was D and now that I'm C). It's doesn't produce the major gas the others did. I know others used ground flax seed with success. Hope you find something that works! Just remember to start with very small amounts of fiber and gradually increase the dose. And, of course, the tons of water! Ty

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please give the fiber a chance. It won't work in 4 days. I was still having D also and thought it wouldn't work. It took about three weeks to a month but my system finally evened out. I do go more but that is because of the bulk created by the fiber. But it is formed and I usually only go once or twice a day. I wouldn't think of quitting. You may want to try different brands if you feel too bloated or gassy. My doctor told me to try Fibercon if I couldn't tolerate Metamucil. I have been able to use the Metamucil so I take that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My doctor prescribed fiber therapy as well, even though I have IBS-D. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that once the drugs begin to work for the D, you start to have the reverse problem. That's what I'm having now. Librax has been my dream drug -- no more D, nausea or "nervous stomach," but I also haven't gone to the bathroom for 3 days. So, I think the fiber therapy is really meant for once your other symptoms go into somewhat of a remission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.