Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you take Fibercon, Citrucel, Metamucil, etc.? With food, without food, am or pm? And how much do you take--what they recommend on the bottle or more/less?

G

·
I haven't been taking Citricel for long, but my Gastroenterologist recommended that I take it at least 2 times a day. He also told me to up my fiber intake with foods as well, and to drink 48 ounces of water a day. I hardly ever drink water, so this has been hard. This is on top of any juices, etc. Start slowly adding fiber, as it may make you have cramping. Good luck!!! Have you seen a Dr. yet? Everyone is different, and I may never be able to get up to the amt. of fiber he wants me to which is 45 grams per day. That is quite a lot. Just add it slowly.

G

·
CathyP:I posted this message as a reply to Barbara a little while ago....am including dosage I take of Konsyl - one heaping tsp. mixed with fruit juice in a shaker jar - usually about an hour before bedtime. I like to take it on an empty stomach because it is quite filling. I take KONSYL because it is 100% psyllium seed, no fillers and sugar like Metamucil and some of the others. It may cost a bit more (Wal-Mart has the best price!) but you get more value for your dollar because it is not diluted down so you can take a smaller dosage. Rite-Aid Drug Store had the 75 tsp. dosage of Konsyl for $20! Long's Drugstore had it for $17.99 - Wal-Mart has it for $14.99! - Also Wal-Mart has the best price onCaltrate Plus.

G

·
Hi CathyP, I used to take Metamucil once at night after dinner...But my doctor recommended to split the daily dosage on the bottle into 3 equal measures and take them through the day. This way there will always be Fibre in the Colon....It seems better than taking the same dosage at once. I don't think it matters much if you take it before or after meals....at least for me!!!RgdsMichel

·
Registered
127 Posts
I take a TBS of Metamucil mixed into 2 TBS of Tang. I made the mistake of getting the "Original" formula and it's lumpy. I understand there's a "smooth" formula which I'll get when this huge bottle runs out. I take mine in the morning while I'm waiting on the coffee pot to finish making noise. I like the sound of taking it 3x a day so there's always fiber in the colon. Maybe I'll try that! It makes alot of sense. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Does anyone use Flax seeds? If so, did it make you gassy for the first week or so? I just bought Cold-milled Flax seeds is this the right stuff? I am afraid to open the package because it feels really hard, not like seeds and I just realized there is an expiration date on the bottom of the package and it expires 11/99 so please reply quick, I don't have much time

G

·
I had built up my fiber intake with natural foods by late spring and I was having one or two pain free days every week throughout summer. My abdominal pain started getting worse and more often about 6-8 weeks ago. Then I realized over the summer my fiber intake had gone back down. I am now building it back up slowly and I am supplementing with Fibercon. Does anyone know how many grams of fiber are in Fibercon? I am up to taking 2 before bed, 1 mid-morning, and 1 mid-afternoon.If anyone begins increasing fiber - do it slowly! I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I would suggest the flax seeds might be better tolerated if they were finely ground into a meal and then mixed in with soft foods. This has worked much better for me than any OTC and cheaper. I buy it already bagged like this at a locally owned health food store in their frig. section. I have also seen it bagged by Bob's Red Mill out of Milwauke, Oregan and sold at our local midwestern supermarket in the health foods section. ------------------

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thank you for the quick responses. I was taking Fiber con but I stopped taking it because I did not want my body to stop functioning without it. I don't know if I am being naive but I feel like the seeds are more natural, not like a laxitive.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I take the Citracel and I have to take it right before I eat supper. No other time works for me - even back fires if I don't take it then. My husband and I went out to dinner and I couldn't drink it - came home and drank it afterwards -OUCH! I get terrible lower stomach pains if I take it on an empty stomach or after eating. Just my picky intestines again!------------------Rebecca"Knowledge is Power"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts