Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused as to what type of fiber would be best for IBS-D, currently I take Jarrow Fiber Perfect which is a blend of psyllium husk, probiotics and algae. It seems to do OK for me but I still have lots of rumblings after eating and still the occasional bout of D after eating. Should I even take fiber? I hear that it can help bulk up your stool but I always thought fiber made you go more and I don't really need that! I usually do not take other meds except when I go on vacation. I find that when I am in hotter climates like SE Asia my IBS D acts up a lot worse and I will have to take Bentyl for fear of getting sick while backpacking around. Bentyl makes me feel weird/confused so I don't take it that much. When I travel I usually just don't eat anything all day except for bananas and maybe some digestive wafers to avoid trouble. I try to keep a food diary but results are inconsistent. I find that red peppers and certain kinds of raw veggies/coffee/caffeine set me off, is that normal? I love to travel and I think about this way too much now. On my regular "everyday life" schedule (not traveling) I will usually only have bouts of D 1 or 2 times a month and that is usually around my period. However, sometimes the unexpected happens and I end up hanging at home when I should be out and about. How many sufferers of IBS D also have major allergies? I am wondering if there is a connection there and how it relates to the irritability of the bowels and mucus production ( I usually have quite a bit of mucus with stools). I have tested negative for celiac but my hmo does not provide for me to see a GI doctor and I always wonder if I have something more serious like IBD or Crohn's but how would I know without being fully tested? Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
@Myogirl- I too am looking for advice on fiber, and am also worried about always hearing that it can cause you to go more (not looking for that either!) Caffeine, raw veggies, fruits with seeds or peels set me off as well. I usually avoid the worst (ie) skin of apples, strawberries, blackberries, cauliflower, brocoli, and eat the majority of my vegtables steamed or well cooked. This seems to help. As far as allergies go I have an allergy to Gluten (celiac disease) and moderate seasonal allergies which seem to be worse this year than usual. I do notice that when my seasonal allergies flare up (stuffy runny nose, coughing etc.) I see more mucous in my stool than usual. I am not sure of the connection but there does seem to be something!

·
Registered
312 Posts
http://www.biblelife.org/fiber.htmthats some things about fiber in other words even though alot of people say it's good it can also be very bad and personally i like to eat a very low fiber diet cause to much just makes me have to go to the bathroombut this is the diet i eat that healed my IBS-Dhttp://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?/topic/124347-fighting-ibs-d-and-gerd/i posted it at the bottom of that link have any of you tried a diet like that before? it works wonders for meand ya i too can't eat any caffine but anyways if you try this diet and it works good and heals your stomach and you no longer have any IBS-D problems (it take a few months to fully heal a damaged stomach) then you can start testing new foods and a good way to do that is test 1 new food for 1 whole week and if your still good then its a good food you can keep and also make sure the food you test only has 1 ingredient

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.