Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in pain and struggling with bowel problems for months. Went to the dr. last week and she thinks it's IBS. She told me to take the probiotic Align for 2 weeks and said if that doesn't help she'll refer me to a gastroenterologist.I have a combination of constipation and diarrhea...Changes by the day.Should I be taking fiber supplements? I've heard they can help but I don't want to aggravate the diarrhea.The pain is awful.....I'm also nausaeous and very bloated. I've tried Charcoal tablets for the gas/bloating but they don't seem to be helping much. So far, the probiotics aren't helping much either. I felt better for a couple days then started feeling awful again.Very scared and hope this isn't something worse like colon cancer. ( don't have any blood in my stools, no fever and haven't lost any weight)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you are under 50 with no history of half your family getting colon cancer by 40 or so your chances of cancer is next to nothing. (it isn't zero but it is very close to).Colon cancer usually is a silent killer (why they recommend screening everyone over 50 every so often) so usually having obnoxious symptoms is more a sign it isn't cancer than it is.With diarrhea it depends. Some people find fiber helps, others do not and I can't predict which group you will be in. You could try it (Because if it works it is a pretty safe thing to try) but start really low, like 1/4 of a single dose and do that for a few days, if you tolerate that then up it a little bit. If you are doing it with food rather than supplements up your daily fiber amount by a gram or two at a time. Even a healthy person can have a bad reaction if they go from a very low fiber diet to a very high fiber diet all at onceFor those that alternate back and forth between constipation and diarrhea often the key to breaking the cycle is eliminating the constipation. The diarrhea is often harder to deal with so often gets the attention, but it tends to be a reaction to the constipation (flush out the backed up stool) and if you can get to where you go more frequently you often can stop the diarrhea as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.