Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you take Fibercon or any of the other fiber supplements, would you still need to eat fiber-rich foods, in addition to the supplements? Because one dose of Fibercon is only 1 gram of fiber, and the bottle says you could take up to 4 doses, so you could only get 4 grams of fiber from Fibercon. Wouldn't you still need to eat more fiber to reach the 20-35 grams you need? I don't understand how Fibercon alone would do anything. Thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi,I know about 5 years ago I read a bunch of article from a GI Doc that swore he could cure anyone of IBS-C or D with enough Fiber added to the diet. He was proposing 9 Tablespoons of Metamucil each day. The recommended dosage of Metamucil is 3 tablespoons each day. He swore by that.I'm not sure that it's possible to OD on fiber (take a Vegan-Vegetarian for example....they eat almost an entire diet of fiber everyday.)I would think that in the beginning the more fiber you eat the more gas you may get.I know I use 3 tablespoons of metamucil everyday and still eat any other fiber that I want without concern.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response, but that didn't answer my question. is Fibercon ALONE supposed to be enough for one's daily fiber intake, or do you ALSO need to eat food with fiber in them everyday in order to get enough fiber?

G

·
Fibercon did not meet my fiber requirements and now I use Fortified Flax. Mixing several Tbsp with some applesauce three times a day. Sometimes I mix it in a little yogurt. It has a nice nutty flavor as I cannot consume nuts.Fibercon is more convenient when I am away from home.Char

1 - 4 of 4 Posts