Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started taking FiberCon & Calcium daily to reduce the D associated with my IBS. Do any of you know how long I can take FiberCon on a daily basis and how much calcium a day is too much? Also, I have purchased some peppermint oil that I would like to try out. I'm just wanted to make sure that it is safe to take it while doing the calcium and FiberCon treatments. I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas you may have. I would also appreciate any stories you may have associated with any of these products. Thank You!

·
Registered
22 Posts
The only real thing that eliminates the effects of IBS (typical symptons of course). I take the cheappee imodim, combined with acidophilius and fiber clean pyslliun husks (500 mg). It keeps me more or less in check. I still can only drink a little bit of coffee and lactaid milk or else i m running to the bathroom after 5 mts!! Peppermint oil gave me a burst of d , it depends on the person. I may be allergic to peppermint, Good luck and try the oil when you dont have to go out!

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
If you are trying to control you diarrhea I can only say the calcium has done it for me when nothing else worked. I took Fibercon and my doctor said I could take up to 8 a day and it only made me worse. It is better for you to just try one thing at a time to see if it is helping.Linda

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Fibercon should be safe daily forever, but if it's not helping in the first few weeks to a month then it's probably not going to.Calcium intake should be under 2000mgs a day from all sources (not just the supplements).I know of no interactions between peppermint and the other products, but if you have reflux disease or heartburn the peppermint can make that worse as it relaxes the spincter at the top of the stomach like it relaxes the other muscles in the gut.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I take 3 600 mg tablest of calcium carbonate each day. One with each meal.Linda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For all of you that have been replying to my post: Thank you soooo much! I really do appreciate all of your input.FYI: I have been taking fiber for two weeks now. I took Metamucil and then switched to FiberCon because I prefer taking a pill rather than drinking the fiber. The regularity is much better. However, when I do go, it is still not normal.I have been taking a OneSource vitamin (from Wal-Mart)every morning. It contains 180 mg of Calcium and 100 mg of Magnesium. I also take a 600 mg Calcium supplement at the same time. At night, I have been taking FiberCon (244 mg of Calcium). My total calcium from supplements alone is 1,024 mg.Now that I know how much Calcium is safe for me to take in one day, I may try taking some Calcium at lunch, too. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I think you are getting too much magnesium and this is causing yo to have more diarrhea.Stop the multi vitamin and just take the caltrate for a few weeks and see if you don't get better.Linda

·
Registered
179 Posts
LNAPE is right! I have been on the Calcium for a couple weeks now and it's unbelievable the change in my bowel movements. I only have to take 2 aday. NO MORE "D"!!! Linda is a life saver. I have suffered with cronic "D" for 10 years now, been on several meds from the Doc, this is the only thing that has really helped me. Try Caltrate in the Purple and white box... Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Thanks Loraine for helping to spread the info on the calcium.Take Care,Linda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and got myself a new multi-vitamin with only 40 mg of Magnesium in it. I also bought some Caltrate (just Calcium version). I'm going to try this for a while and see how it works (at every meal). The calcium I was taking before was an off brand. I wasn't sure about the absorption rate so that is why I changed to Caltrate. Also, I feel like I need the multi-vitamin. Not only do I have IBS, but I am also borderline anemic. I have to take some iron every day. The multi-vitamins do wonders for my borderline anemia!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Is there any association between calcium supllements and kidney stones? I had a kidney stone in 1995, and it was not a pleasant experience. Also, my dad and maternal grandmother have both had multiple stones.I am currently taking the caltrate in the pink box and it seems to be helping me a bit. The purple box did not seem to work. So could the pink caltrate increase my chances of a kidney stone? Every time I get a twitch in my back I am so nervous it is a stone coming on!

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
calcium dose not cause kidney stones it is the oxilates in food and the latest research the calcium help get rid of the oxilates in foods and thus helping to prevent the kidney stones.LindaCalciuminfo.com for more info.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It took the FiberCon a few days/maybe two weeks before I felt regular. Don't give up too soon. YOu may feel a little bloated at first, it's natural. Stick with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts