Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've been trying to understand this doctor recommended supplemnt called Fibercon. I went to the doctor in 2000 and he told me I needed to drink water, and take fibercon. When I went out to buy it, I couldn't find it, but i did find philips fiber caps. I got lazy and sick of buying them or something and I stoped taking Last august, when my IBS symptons started acting up big time, I went out and bought a bottle of fibercon 140 caplets. I tried taking the reccomended dose of 2 caplets but it was too strong. So I cut down to 1 tablet, but still 2 strong. Most recently I tried taking half a tablet, but still to strong.What I don't understand about the supplement, is it doesn't have fiber in it! Its Calcium Polycarbil, and taking the stuff feels like taking any other laxitive even though the label says "Gentle enough for everyday use".I have taken half a pill 3 days in a row, and it does its job allright, but it makes my stomach rumble like crazy, and gives me crazy gas. The rumbling drives me nuts! I don't understand what its good for, or why I'd want to take it. Has anyone had any success with the stuff? I sure am not. I"m thinking about throwing my bottle away, yet I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hi man,I do not take the Fibercon, but I do take a dose of a Metamucil-type product everyday as part of my efforts to manage my IBS symptoms.I eat a very carefully selected group of foods, and I know what I have to avoid.I got a lot of good information from these books by Heather Van Vorous:"IBS, The First Year""Eating for IBS"The book "IBS, The First Year" is a great book for anyone who wants information about IBS and how to manage it.Heather does discuss taking fibre supplements as part of a plan to manage IBS.It's combined with a diet of certain foods, and there are lists of foods to avoid.The book is written in a clear, straight forward manner and it has a lot of really useful information.The second book listed, "Eating for IBS" is more of a cookbook, but there is also a section where Heather discusses how eating certain foods can make a difference for anyone with IBS.Heather has a website, where she will personally answer questions:www.eatingforibs.comThere are other fibre supplements that can be used.Would any of them be better for you?Take care . . . from Lexi

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
man gone insane,what you will soon realize is that the collective wisdom on this board far exceeds the collective wisdom of all the GI and GP doctors out there.(i.e., when it comes to chronic, nagging conditions like IBS) (in other words, they have value other than IBS relief -- they may find something different than IBS in you -- don't close off your options because they are clueless about IBS)the fibercon issue is something that would lend well to an IBSGROUP search of the archives to get the lowdown on how people might be responding.on a lot of these issues it takes time to gather good input. therefore, it is quicker to jump in and learn ourselves.

G

·
mangoneinsane-if you do want to take a good fiber supplement, i cannot recommend highly enough ground flax seed. this is the ground seed, not the oil. its super healthy for you b/c it contains high levels of omega 3 - which can help immensely in fighting heart disease. but the best part is that is contains almost the perfect balance of soluble/insoluble fiber. its great for people who have C b/c the balance prevents the stuff from swelling up and blocking you. i think it would be fine for those with D too, b/c it adds bulk but doesn't irritate the lining and make you have D. its really good. no gas, no cramping. and it even tastes good. you can eat it on yogurt or cereal. i really recommend it if you are going ot take fiber. you can take other kinds of fiber, but why not take somehting that is good for you instead of empty bulk? Kel is right - our collective wisdom tends to be way more helpful than doctors. mostly that is b/c ibs at this point is about treating symptoms and we know how to do that best. but at times we are even better at diagnosing that some docs. sad but true!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.