Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I posted about this a few months ago and got a few replies. There seemed to be equal numbers saying it had an effect and it didn't have an effect.Personally, I believe my fibroids do influence my IBS. Mine are large enough that I can feel them and it makes sense to me that they would push against my bowel and bladder more than usual. I think this could cause my bowel to spasm more.As I said, others disagree and there doesn't seem to be anything in the literature I've found about this.I hope this info is helpful.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just noticed this thread and wanted to cast my vote
I had fibroids, mostly posterior (i.e., bothering the rectum), that enlarged my uterus to about the size of a 20-week pregnancy. I had the fibroids removed (myomectomy) at age 40 and my digestion behaved MUCH better for two or three years. Eventually, of course, the little buggers grew back (to 10-week size only) and premenopausal problems started up, so I lost some ground. But I think the surgery was the right decision. I just passed my 1-year anniversary of no periods, 11 years later. I would never have lasted 10 more years with the original crop of fibroids.The gynecologist who did the myomectomy pushed me to have a hysterectomy when the recurrent fibroids attained some bulk, and I demurred, saying I suspected most of my discomforts were due to IBS. He responded, "Yes, but why do you think you have IBS??" Ultimately I had to fire him when he just wouldn't quit pitching for another surgery

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.