Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on my son's all day field trip today to a nature preserve that I love. Ican't believe how nervous I am about anattack happening, getting too hungry sinceI have cut out so much food, getting thirsty, having to use the facilities etc.Any ideas for future reference? The schoolprovides mid-morning snack, this should bea hoot (does it have oil? fat? tomato sauce?cheese? air?)I'll survive. Just got to hold on until afterI run the pond experiment. Oy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Cynthia,I can sympathize! I have lived in hope that I wouldn't have an attack and fear that I would for a long time. Thanks to this board, I've learned to be proactive about my IBS-D, even if I'm just going to the grocery store. Here's how I have learned to prepare. 1)Have you tried the Caltrate Plus at all? It's a calcium supplement that has helped many of us on this board. Take one with breakfast if you can. Also pack one to take in your lunch.2)Eat a little something early in the morning to "get things moving" before you leave. It always helps to be somewhat empty before going anywhere. This helps future bathroom calls to be not quite so urgent.3)Take an Immodium before you leave, and take some with you (chewable) in case you feel the gurgles coming on. One Immodium is good enough for me to make it through a half day away from home. I pack Immodium in the car, my purse, everywhere. The thing to remember with Immodium is to take it at the first tiny whisper of a gurgle. Once I waited too long and the results were disastrous!4)I don't know how severe your D is, but you may want to consider wearing 1 or 2 pads, just in case you have a ways to walk to the restroom.5)You could pack a backpack with emergency clothes, wipes, plastic bag etc. in it. This would not look out of place since you are hiking in the nature preserve - add a bird book or other nature book to make the pack look legit. Hope this helps. I will keep you in my prayers today. Let us know how you did.Jane

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to tell you that I have, after many years of searching, found that the new Depends pullup disposable underware is MUCH more comfortable than pads of any kind! I'm not a sales person for the company, just a really satisfied customer. They may be hard to find because they really took off in sales as soon as they came on the market, but they are worth hunting for!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a fine time at the field trip. Had gurgles but found I could let out the gas just fine with no one the wiser. No D expected, but thought I would get the painful cramps and nausea. But I was too busy doing those ponds experiments. Thanks for the suggestions. I do carry immodian withme all the time now. And gas-x. And pepto.And and...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah Cynthia! I'm glad it went so well and you didn't let your colon ruin what was such a good time. Sometimes I find the anxiety of getting an attack gives you an attack and the anxiety is worse than the attack itself. Whew, say that three times fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.