Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my final test, sonogram. Gallbladder, kidneys, pancreas and spleen. The tech checked my pelvic area.....all clear, but where Im having the pain she noticed a large area of trapped gas. Is this normal with IBS?Also does anyone know if there is anything over the counter to get rid of that? Charcoal pills or anything?lisa

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the technician that did the ultrasound said it was an area of large trapped gas. The Dr only ordered abdominal ultrasound (he told me it was to be abdominal and pelvis) but when they faxed it over it was just abdominal. The nurse for my piece of mind checked the entire pelvic area, everything was fine and the only thing she found off was this area of trapped gas.I had a colonoscopy a few days ago. That was all clear.Lisa

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Is this normal with IBS?
Gas transport is inefficient in IBS, but IBSers don't seem to have large volumes of gas in their guts. So it could have all the gas in that one spot and thus gave the appearance of being big even though it wasn't really much. We don't know how much gas was there in milliliters, for how long it was there or whether there gas elsewhere in smaller amounts. One would need a standing X-ray and an experienced radiologist could estimate it. But generally if you are not passing a lot of gas, then you don't have any abnormal amount.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Lisa;I have always had very good luck with Gas-X. You can get it over the counter. I went through a period where I passed a lot more gas than what was usual for me, and that's when I used it. I don't have that problem anymore, luckily. Good luck, and I hope it works for you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.