Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I was diagnosed with IBS 3 months ago and its been very difficult for me to accept, I struggle with my depression so having this added hell hasnt been fantastic but recently ive started to feel like im getting use to it and Ive started changes in my life giving me some control over my IBS, im still in pain and have the general problems but I try to ignore them which is tough but does anyone have any extra advice on how to tackle acceptance and day to day living with IBS?Thanks Kayleigh xxx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, knowing from my experience you can hopefully expect that it won't always be really bad. You know, there's flare ups and triggers what have you. I can go a few months with little to no symptoms (just gas which I really hate, and my boyfriend hates more
and that's really helpful for me. And when it does flare up, you do have some control on how bad it's going to be. There is always this connection to stress and anxiety and IBS so that being said remember to care for yourself and be kind. HOT baths and heating pads on your belly. Massages, walks, yoga, whatever!!! But try not to sit around and panic about it of course, that won't help anything. :)I understand having depression is very dibilitating especially if your chronically depressed and having a major flareup as well but try to remember it won't last forever, and if you have to call someone *support groups in your area (I am willing to bet anyone suffering from similar mental illnesses anxiety, depression, stress etc, can help because they probably have it too-- I am speaking from experience of my support groups) also maybe a Health Link within the city you live where you can talk to live nurse or someone when you're in it.Then there's the obvious, getting that poop out!! Which is always my super relief!! Natural suppliments, laxatives, enemas..... this site will be a wealth of info on the suggestions of what's been working for others. I am new to this site as well..... I am on a road to some progress but wanted to share my story and meet others like me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw thank you so much for your reply it means alot and you are sooo right, I've been to my doctor to talk about physiotherapy because of my anxiety, stress and depression but for some reason she increased my anti-depressants and is sending me to a councellor, which I feel is going backwards (seeming as I have had many years of councelling and now need something more intensive and harder), the dietician I saw insisted that I had physiotherapy so I need to push my doctor to help me. I am currently on a high fibre and fluid diet, which I'm hoping will help with my pain, it's hard right now, today I had the worst day of pain, in which I laid in bed all day. Thank you for your advice I will definately look into a support group in my area
Welcome to the site, and I have found this website very helpful, because when I was diagnosed I wondered if I was over-reacting, I feel awful all the time, but once I read other peoples stories it made me realise Im not alone which is fantastic.Thank you and I hope you are wellKayleigh xxxx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts