Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for those of you who remember my thyroid concerns, I finally went to an Endocrinologist (K9Mom, the one listed on the info you sent me), didn't have to have a referral either. I took my thyroid scan results from other dr. and gave them to him; he said thyroid was nothing to worrry about. Although he did tell me I had a small cyst on my right side, but that it was not unusual to have one and that would soon heal itself in 6-12 mos. He used some technical term meaning that I had had some cold or something that settled in my thyroid, but that I was getting over it based on the ultrasound that he did. He went on to tell me that my thyroid was the least of his concerns; that my major problems were a result of Mitral Valve Prolapse. He asked if I were taking any medication for MVP and I told him no. He said that as you get older and are pre-menopause you start to experience more problems which are hormonal related and that my feelings of exhaustion, insomnia, palpitations, irritability, etc. are a result of MVP. Also, taking birth control is aggravating things. He prescribed an anti-depressant called Doxepin and Tenormin, if needed, for side effects. His office scheduled me an appt with my GYN to take me off birth control and to put me on some type of hormones. All of this is hitting me pretty quickly and I don't know how to accept this info. Anti-depressants are something I'm a little afraid of. It'll mean a whole lifestyle change for me (no alcohol). Take meds 2 hrs before bedtime? What's bedtime if I go out to party?? I really feel pretty good overall and don't have a problem with alcohol.Is anyone familiar with these meds he prescribed? Any advice at all would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I guess I'd give the medication a shot, and see if you notice any difference after the time allowed, and if not or if it makes you feel even worse-dump it! I found your post a little interesting since I was on birth control and antibiotics and developed Endometriosis, Fibromyalgia, Candida, and also discovered I had Mitral and Bicuspid Valve insufficiency. Don't know if there is any connection, although there is some overlapping symptoms of some of these conditions. I'm sure I also had strep (virus) as a child as well and have an Aunt with valve prolapse (genetic predisposition?). Let us know how you do on your new treatment. The endocrine thing may have been better or worse to have, you never know. I think it's difficult to regulate hormones, whatever kind they are.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I sent you side effect info via email. Take CareLInda

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
moldie,I've only been on birth control for about 2 yrs. It's used to stop pain and heavy flow and it has worked. I'm afraid of what I'll feel like without it -- the pain during ovulation was unbearable!! Thanks for your advice.Linda,I got your list which scared the mess out of me.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yeah, Patty. Don't read the side effects again. Really. I know Linda is great and meant well, but I'm like you and have been told to NOT read stuff like this! The truth is, on those side effect lists, they have to put down everything everyone has every experienced on this drug, even if it's only one person or a mouse -- but it's enough to scare people like you and me! Also, as two doctors told me recently when I brought up side effects, "Ever look at the side effects for aspirin? Or for birth control pills, for that matter?"Also, if you go on hormones, that means estrogen as WELL as progesterone, so you won't ovulate or get a period. You won't feel pain. I can't figure out why they think hormones should be better than birth control as far as aggrevating symptoms...but ask the OB/GYN what he/she thinks. Let us know how it goes. I bet you can still go out and party. You'll just have to work around it. Oh, Patty, is IS a drag, but you'll be alright.[This message has been edited by Persistance (edited 02-18-2000).]

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Oh Patty, sounds like you got more confusion instead of answers. I would go with my gut instinct...read up on mitral valve prolapse and then follow your gut!If you are uncomfortable with the meds after reading up on the condition and meds then call the drs office and ask if there is another approach that you can take. Remember, you are in the drivers seat here!Best of luck, and I'm glad it wasn't your thyroid for your sake!
Please let me know what you decide. Will send ya' some good, positive thoughts to help you make your decision!!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Patty -- I just want to understand you right...you are not to take medication for the MVP? I read on the net just now that most of the time, except in cases of rare complications, one doesn't have to. So why the anti-depressants? Because of the supposed irritability and exhaustion, etc? Or from going off the birth control? Just want to understand.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Persistance,It is my understanding that my insomnia, exhaustion, irritability, palpitations, etc are caused by the MVP. He says I'm not clinically depressed (which I already know!), but because of the hormonal changes going on in my body, I'll feel much better after taking anti-depressants and hormones. I have discussed this with some of my friends who swear that I don't need anti-depressants! I really am a pretty happy-go-lucky kinda person. Although, as my med dr told me, there are times when you don't really know you're depressed or that things on your mind are causing you to worry more than you think. I've been feeling good lately other than the tension I sometimes feel in my neck and heaviness in my chest. Bowels haven't been acting up too much lately either. I don't know....don't know....Thanks K9Mom for your comments. I am glad it's not my thyroids!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
OK, I've talked to my sister who has MVP and she was baffled by the meds that this doc prescribed you. She said that the only thing she does is take an antibiotic 3 days prior to any dental work due to the MVP. Also, Patty be very careful about taking any hormones....with the risk of breast cancer increasing due to hormone replacement therapy!!After thinking more about this I would probably get a second opinion...most insurance companies pay 100% for second opinions.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Either do I (know, I mean). Could you wait until you see the OB/GYN? One thing, if you hate the anti-depressants, no-one says you have to keep taking them. What a load of s*** to pile on you at once! I'd say, if you feel OK, forget it, but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. It's not like the MVP is going to get worse if you don't take the stuff. If that were the case, it would be different. Meantime -- MY sore throat IS GERD and I'm having a hell of a time with horrendous D on the month's worth of Prilosec the doc put me on (once I clearit up, I don't have to take it regularlyl). Plus a new theory that I might not have IBS, but "microscopic colitis," which is not curable and only detected with a biopsy -- and treatable only with something that seems to have bad side effects. So I know what you mean -- you go for answers and you get only more confusion and questions and upset. P.S. K9, you and I must have been posting at the same time. [This message has been edited by Persistance (edited 02-19-2000).]

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Speaking for myself, I wish I would have been more well informed about all the consequences of taking birth control and antibiotics. Instead, I just accepted that doctors know best. I found out they don't. I will make more informed choices for myself from now on, and take pills only if I can't function for a good share of my life if I don't. Maybe you could try handling it with ibuprofen (taken with food only) for the short duration you have your pain. I know it has been considered to cause GI upset for some people, but I think it is more if you take it for too long a period at a time and without food. If you only take it for a couple days, it shouldn't pose much of a problem. I did not experience any GI upset with it, but that is me. I think problems enter in with a lot of medications when one relys on them on a daily basis for an extended period of time. How long do you have your pain? Do you have Endometriosis? PMS? Fibroid tumors? Are you still wanting to get pregnant? I always had two days of pain with my period and suffered many years with little help from Tylenol, or even a couple of Ibuprofen. When I took 800mg of Ibuprofen spaced out two times a day; I didn't even know I had my period until I had to change my pads. I don't know for sure if this is true of ovulating type pain, but you could check with your doctor. Also, it might make for a heavier flow, not sure, so you should ask him/her that too. Perhaps you could get by on a differnt type or smaller dose of hormones. Ask him/her how exactly the hormones might be affecting your MVP symptoms you mentioned. Persistence, Just curious, what drug are you talking about when you mentioned your microscopic colitis?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Moldie, it hasn't been diagnosed yet, but the drug is Ansacol (sp?) and the reason he postulates I might have this condition is because he says you don't get "IBS" from taking an antibiotic. So go figure. I'd always been told that was one way you got it. Also, Patty, I found that natural progesterone cream helped me much to alleviate cramps. No side effects with this, either. You can take the progesterone cream or pills WITH estrogen (that's what they call hormone therapy), or just alone. I would never, by the way, if I were taking hormones, want to take synthetic progesterone ("progestin"). That's a whole other subject and when Patty's ready, she can talk to us about that. [This message has been edited by Persistance (edited 02-19-2000).]

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think that you need to see a cardiologist who will treat your MVP, a gland doctor isn't REALLY wualified to do that. I have been on tenormin for supraventricular tachacardia (rapid hertbeat) and it is a beta blocker I had to take daily, and when I didn't need it any further I had to ween off of it VERY VERY slowly. Please see a cardio doctor for your heart. A OB/GYN for your hormonal changes/issues and the Endocronologist for your thyriod/gland issues.Good luck

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Patty - well, I'm glad it wasn't your thyroid at least.As far as the MVP, I'm not familiar with that. I hope you soon get that cleared up. I'm wondering why the need for anti-depressants? I see you are hesitant about that idea also. I don't see where the anti-depressants enter into this??Anyway, please keep us posted. We want to know how you're doing...

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Okay, I guess it pays to read the responses before responding myself - *L*!. I see my question has been answered! Personally Patti, I don't think your doctors reasons are reason enough to take anti-depressants. Just my take. I'm really against them though.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Persistance,Your doctor is being pretty technical. You do not get IBS from taking antibiotics. This is true. You do get diarrhea most of the time and stomach upset.In our case that is the same as IBS.I think we should all know the side effects of all drugs we are supposed to take weather OTC or RX. They are scary to read but ignorence to no excuse. At least of you start to experience some of them you know where to adjust what you are doing. Either cut the dose because we all don't need the same amounts because of our age or just the way they affect us. I did work in a Pharmacy for 6 years and saw what side effect did to some particualrly the elderly and they did not have a clue as to what was happening to them.Take care.Linda[This message has been edited by LNAPE (edited 02-19-2000).]

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Linda -- sorry, I did not mean to second-guess or criticize what you did in trying to help Patty or your knowledge from working in a pharmacy. I had misunderstood and thought it was side effects for something she HAD to take for her MVP, and I didn't feel she should put herself through unnecessary worry. But, you're right. If it's something where you have a choice, like an anti-depressant, of course you'd want to know the side effects. True, my doctor may BE being technical. Although symptoms lasting well over a year from an antibiotic? I never had any of this previous to the antibiotic course. He postulates that this "microscopic colitis" which is detectable under a microscope, can be triggered by antibiotics. And also by food poisoning and water contamination, which he doesn't feel are really "IBS" cases, either. I just don't know at this point. He does seem up on the latest research. He even feels that Lotronex can be helpful for Chrons and other IBD conditions as WELL as IBS -- he says that they only tested it for IBS because there was a huge gap in the market (probably it's a money issue).[[This message has been edited by Persistance (edited 02-20-2000).]

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
moldie,I do have fibroids and definitely don't want any more children; my periods were extremely heavy and caused me to be anemic most of the time. Prior to taking the birth control pills, I had been taking Motrin 800mg during ovulation and during the entire week of my cycle and it worked for me. So, I don't have a problem going back to Motrin except that it might cause my IBS to get worse.K9Mom, it's true that you have to be pre-med before dental appts and some other procedures. I'm not new to the MVP; have had it for a while. Although I do have another friend who has to take meds for MVP because she experiences chest pain as well as the palpitations. I don't know if she's taking anti-depressants for it tho. But, I must say she's a worrier and might need anti-depressants...Persistance, drs have always told me that MVP is nothing to worry about unless you set up some kind of infection, thus the reason for pre-meds for dental appts. I wish you luck in getting to the root of your newly suggested problem.Linda, I am one who does believe in reading up on all meds prior to using and I do thank you for sending me the list.Anxious, I really am hesitant about the anti-depressants and don't think I'll get them just yet. I'll go to my appt with GYN and see what she thinks. I really like having a female GYN and can talk to her about anything.Thanks britta for that info and suggestion.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You know this dr might have just used MVP as an excuse to tell me that I'm getting old and pre-menopausal and need to start hormones. *smile* But, I don't think I'm experiencing all the others symptoms enough to merit the anti-depressants right now....maybe in the future tho.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts