Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Gosh, I just don't know where the last week has gotten too! I don't think I have checked in on the boards here all week! I was so busy at work last week I barely had time to eat lunch, much less check in on the BB.Anyhoo, I finally saw my surgeon last week about the gallstones. He sent me to the hospital with all the neccessary forms, but I still have to wait probably another week to find out when I will get my surgery. They said I would get a letter advising me and I just have to wait. I soooooooo HATE waiting! I think waiting is the worst part of anything!One bit of good news though, the surgeon agrees with me that a colonoscopy is not neccessary! Thank goodness, I have been dodging that bullet for months! I soooooo don't want to have one.The surgeon was really nice too. I was in with him for at least half an hour. I explained to him about my IBS and also my concerns that I might get Bile Salt Diarrhea after and he understood completely and also knew all about the Cholestyramine. I sure will be glad to get the surgery over though. I TOTALLY hate going to hospital and get so stressed when I do_One not so good thing though, seems I may not be able to have the keyhole surgery. As I have had 2 previous lots of abdo surgery he said I might have some adhesions. If I do, he may have to do open surgery instead. He could not tell me one way or the other at the consult though, he said he will only know after they put in the laparascope and have a look around.I will be sweating on my letter now, I sure hope it does not take too long to arrive, and that when it does I don't have to wait too long for the actual surgery.Want to ask too, has anyone found that after a bout of 'D' they might not go for a few days? Used to be that I got 'D' a couple of times a week, but might only go a day after without going again. Now in the last couple of months, I seem to have a longer 'recovery' period if you will, and after a bout of 'D' I might be 'stuck' for 3 - 4 days.Is it possible I have somehow 'switched' now to getting both extremes? That is 'D' and 'C'?Thanks, hope you are all doing better.Cheers, Sabriel :love:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just wanted to let you know: I had laparoscopic surgery for gall bladder removal 6 months after two emergency abdominal surgeries (both were open, I was gutted from sternum to pubic bone). My surgeon too, warned me that he may not be able to do "keyhole" surgery because of my adhesions but wouldn't know for sure until he looked around. When he did, he said that I was very clean - had only one attached to my stomach- so he was successful, recovery was a piece of cake compared to the previous two (only missed one day of work compared to 10 weeks with the open surgeries). But it very much depends on the skill of the surgeon: I had one that wouldn't even see me after I explained my history because, in his opinion, I would be "cemented" together. Since the surgery I have had little trouble with symptoms of gall bladder disease other than what you mentioned about the bile salt problem: If I eat too much food or too fatty foods, I will have occasional painful diarhea. But from what I hear, this is to be expected and can be controlled by diet (which I do). I wish you all the good will in the world as I have complete empathy with what you are feeling. I hope to never have to meet with any surgeon again, bowel obstruction or no bowel obstruction - ha, ha (which is a risk with any abdominal surgery - but very, very low with laporascopic).Good Luck!!!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
SabrielSounds like you're concerned, naturally, about whether you can have the "keyhole" (laproscopic) surgery to remove your gallbladder after what your surgeon said. Now, I had never had any surgery, but my surgeon also warned me that he may not be able to remove the gallbladder laproscopically. He told me, he wouldn't know until after he got started. Turned out he was able to, and I had the quicker recovery.Someone else I know had her gallbladder removed. She was admitted into the hospital the day prior to the actual surgery, very ill. She had previously had a hystorectomy (and other invasive female procedures, she had endo) They didn't know how the surgeon would have to proceed. But she, also, was able to have the laproscopic (keyhole) surgery. And she actually went back to work quicker than I did -- she was out 1 week and I was out 2 weeks!I believe your surgeon is just giving you all the possibilities -- he has to do that. For now, try not to stress about it. But I can understand stressing the waiting till you find out the date of surgery. Try to stay calm and worried free till then. And if you can't, just post here and share your feelings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.