Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This is my first post. I've been lurking for a while. I was diagnoesed with IBS a few months ago but have had the symptoms for about 7 years. I suffer from both D and C. I was wondering how any of you guys who have both have found any kind of balance. I have C and then when I have D it is really bad so I take immodium which then constipates me. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
yes, I can relate. and it really is about that balance. There are 3 things I do. I take a calcium/magnesium supplement. Calcium helps people with IBS D since it constipates; magensium helps the C. You'd think they would cancel each other out but it helps me - it just takes playing with the ratio (I take usually a 2:1 calcium:mag but will take more calcium if feeling more D). I also take fiber - citrucel. I take it usually once or twice per day depending on if I feeling more C. If I'm doing OK without it, I cut back.but the best thing for me has been hypnotherapy. it's not only helped me control the symptoms and get better, it helps my thought processes. I would say I've been more C since doing it and I need to work on that. But the good thing is that it's not the roller coaster it used to be and I get D less often - it used to be my "cure" for C. And even when I do get D, I typically get that balance back a lot faster.I'm not perfect of course and have setbacks. Right now, I've been dealing with D and trying to get back in balance. But it's not the best time of the month to get that back plus I made a couple of stupid food choices that set me off (McDs to start and then last week popcorn which is prolonging the problem). But I am more hopeful than a couple of years ago.nancytom - about the zelnorm. I always heard it was for people who are strictly IBS C and not for those who alternate since we problems with D anyway. Did I get that wrong? I've personally not pursued it - aprtly for that reason, partly that I don't want to take medications if I can help it (personal choice, not making a blanket statement) and a lot because frankly, while I don't like when I'm C, I REALLY don't like the D and will do anything to avoid it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.