Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how some of you went about finding a psychologist or therapist to help with your anxiety. My HMO will pay part of the cost, do HMOs usually require a referral for that? I'd rather not have to involve my primary doctor again. I feel like I've bugged him so much lately! So what are the other alternatives? Just pick a name out of the phone book? Too bad there isn't a 1-800-THERAPIST number like there is for dentists!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an HMO that pays 80%(i pay the other 20 and a copay) Mine did not require me to get a referral(I wouldnt have because the primary I have now is a jerk) My HMO has an 800 number on the card for mental health services and they referred me to some drs in my area. I have been to see a lady a couple times now. Not sure if it will help but I was desperate. Check with your member services if your not sure how to get a referral.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an HMO that pays 80%(i pay the other 20 and a copay) Mine did not require me to get a referral(I wouldnt have because the primary I have now is a jerk) My HMO has an 800 number on the card for mental health services and they referred me to some drs in my area. I have been to see a lady a couple times now. Not sure if it will help but I was desperate. Check with your member services if your not sure how to get a referral.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Please make sure the HMO approves your visit(s) first. They have a nasty habit of refusing to pay for things they did not pre-approve.Also I wish you luck. My experience with mental health HMO's was not good. First, the number of choices was small. Waits to get intial visit loang. The distance we had to travel to see one was large. I also got the impression that those I did see probably could not make it in private practice without an HMO-- they seemed rather incompetent. None had the faintest idea about IBS. They all tried pinning it on anxiety--which I do/did not have. Also be aware that some HMO's will not approve certain types of therapy. For example bio-feedback was not approved by the plan I had. Keep the following observation in mind.At work when we had a work problem and consulted a mechanical engineer they offered a mechanical solution. Take the same problem to an electrical engineer and they offer an electrical solution.The therapist is going to offer the only kind of solution they can -- a psychological one. If that isn't your problem, it won't help.I sure hope you have good luck.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Please make sure the HMO approves your visit(s) first. They have a nasty habit of refusing to pay for things they did not pre-approve.Also I wish you luck. My experience with mental health HMO's was not good. First, the number of choices was small. Waits to get intial visit loang. The distance we had to travel to see one was large. I also got the impression that those I did see probably could not make it in private practice without an HMO-- they seemed rather incompetent. None had the faintest idea about IBS. They all tried pinning it on anxiety--which I do/did not have. Also be aware that some HMO's will not approve certain types of therapy. For example bio-feedback was not approved by the plan I had. Keep the following observation in mind.At work when we had a work problem and consulted a mechanical engineer they offered a mechanical solution. Take the same problem to an electrical engineer and they offer an electrical solution.The therapist is going to offer the only kind of solution they can -- a psychological one. If that isn't your problem, it won't help.I sure hope you have good luck.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HI PDBThe HMO probably gave you a book with all the doctors and other providers in the network, and yor primary care phsyician should be able to refer you to one close by. Check the book for one close by and get the referral. As long as the diagnosis code she assigns fits the protocol for counselling there is usually not a problem. Each HMO has its own policies an what is appropriate and not in their opinion. Doc should be familiar with this.MNLMNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HI PDBThe HMO probably gave you a book with all the doctors and other providers in the network, and yor primary care phsyician should be able to refer you to one close by. Check the book for one close by and get the referral. As long as the diagnosis code she assigns fits the protocol for counselling there is usually not a problem. Each HMO has its own policies an what is appropriate and not in their opinion. Doc should be familiar with this.MNLMNL

·
Registered
304 Posts
My infertility dr recommended my therapist because he specializes in those issues. My ins. will pay for therapy but only if you see a participating dr. Mine doesn't participate so I have to pay 50% of his fees after I meet the deductible. I chose to see this dr. though because he has a special interest in infertility. He said he can help me deal with the IBS business too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My infertility dr recommended my therapist because he specializes in those issues. My ins. will pay for therapy but only if you see a participating dr. Mine doesn't participate so I have to pay 50% of his fees after I meet the deductible. I chose to see this dr. though because he has a special interest in infertility. He said he can help me deal with the IBS business too.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Medicare recently approved codes for qualified psychologists for payment for healthcare services. This is a breakthrough that been fifty years in the making but it should lead to changes in the next few years. In the meantime you should be able to request that your HMO provide the name of a mental helth professional qualified to treat IBS. It's something that might be worth asking for even if they probably won't be able to provide what you need at the moment.tom

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Medicare recently approved codes for qualified psychologists for payment for healthcare services. This is a breakthrough that been fifty years in the making but it should lead to changes in the next few years. In the meantime you should be able to request that your HMO provide the name of a mental helth professional qualified to treat IBS. It's something that might be worth asking for even if they probably won't be able to provide what you need at the moment.tom

G

·
My experience over the past 20 years or so with therapists is sort of like a Forrest Gump kinda thing..it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what youre gonna get...I have had some truly great therapists and some horrible ones that did more harm than good...you have to go and be honest with them and be willing to accept the fact that you may not hit it off with them..if you don't you need to keep looking until you DO find one that you hit it off with cause its hard to work with one that you don't like....HMO or not.

G

·
My experience over the past 20 years or so with therapists is sort of like a Forrest Gump kinda thing..it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what youre gonna get...I have had some truly great therapists and some horrible ones that did more harm than good...you have to go and be honest with them and be willing to accept the fact that you may not hit it off with them..if you don't you need to keep looking until you DO find one that you hit it off with cause its hard to work with one that you don't like....HMO or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.