Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that almost everyone here knows what triggers them. But I'm always in a state of discomfort, and I don't know where to start as far as eliminating foods. I live with my parents so my Mom does the cooking, and eliminating foods isn't going to be easy, but where did you start when you were trying to find your trigger? I've believed that sugar was a culprit, but I can have a bunch of chocolates and feel fine, but if I have a mint I will be cramped and bloated beyond belief. But I usually have other foods close to it so its difficult to determine if it was that, that caused it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hi Theldon,These books were very helpful for me:"IBS, The First Year""Eating for IBS"Both are written by Heather Van Vorous, and she has a website that is very informative:www.eatingforibs.comHeather discusses common "triggers" and gives lists of foods that most often cause trouble for IBS sufferers.I hope this is of some help.
Take care . . . from Lexi

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have only had ibs for about 5 months but i have learned a few things. I did buy the "The First Year IBS" by Heather Van Vorous and it really helped me. I also just tried different foods to see if I could have it. I hope everything works out for you. Good Luck

·
Registered
709 Posts
heya theldon,i know what you mean...for a while i thought everything was setting my stomach off cuz it always seemed to feel crappy...but i slowly figured out some foods that were particularly mean to me...sugar definitely screws me up...so you might have something there. i just keep it in moderation.dairy is often a problem with ibs people, for me, i can eat some amount of cheese and that's about it (well, milk baked in things seems not too awful). but i can't drink milk or eat ice cream. you might wanna try cutting back the dairy (if you eat a lot of it) and see if you notice changes...fiber is a tricky thing...doctors keep encouraging me to eat lots, but i find that that makes me worse--so, i don't go overboard with the grains! (esp. bran--oooo killer). many say that raw veggies and some fruits are hard on them too...but this varies also...good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi!Keeping a diary is helpful, just remember that it may take up to a day to react to certain foods. Also sometimes I can get away with a little no-no if I don't eat it on an empty stomach. I have a lot of triggers. Fiber is tricky, and depends on the individual. Some people can only tolerate soluble fiber, while others can take both soluble and insoluble. I can only do soluble fiber. I just now have worked up to eating cheerios without problems. I started out with only very bland foods, and introduced one new food at a time, to see how I would do with them. The books mentioned already are great. Good luck!Blessings,Melanie

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know how you feel. I am going through the same thing. I have given up carbonated drinks, coffee, dairy, nuts, candy and chocolate. I still get a lot of gas...so now I am working on giving up anything fried (which usually I avoid, but we have a bag of tortilla chips in the house that I haven't been able to keep out of). I think some fruits and vegs bother me. I am also trying to figure out if soy products are a problem. I am going to switch to rice milk to see if that helps. This is TMI, but some days I run myself out of the room! I haven't had a bought of diarrhea for several weeks, so I know I am making some progress...but I am still very frustrated. I have Heather's books and need to really sit down and read them again.

·
Registered
400 Posts
A very good book to help with an elimination diet is Is Your child's Brain Starving? by Michael R. Lyon, MD. It is written for helping children with ADD/ADHD. But the same thing works for digestive problems. In fact, the Dr. says that many people do it as a family in support of the child & the parents find their fibromyalgia or digestive disorders have disappeared. It didn't make my IBS go away, but I think I had pretty much figured out my triggers in the last 13 years. But in addition, my son's acne cleared, his dandruff left, and my husband's digestion was much improved and he lost weight.I hope your family will support you in your endeavors to find health & in turn I'm sure they will be helped, also.Jennifer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.