Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,Haven't made a post here in a while but I think I am starting to find out what is wrong with me.I was diagnosed with IBS like 6 years ago and I tried a variety of anti constipation meds, even steriods, and nothing worked.About 2 months ago I had a colonoscopy, everything was normal, very frustrating when you are having incomplete evacuation every time you go.I changed my Doctor(And Thank God for that because if I still would have been at the old one I would have still been drinking water and eating vegetables to cure pelvic floor dysfunction).I got a sitz marker test done. It was a little slow but relatively normal.But the real catch was in the Defography/Defecation test.Diagnosis- Patient was only able to evacuate 10% of the barium(White paste stool). After taking nearly double the normal amount of barium, the diagnosis is an abnormal condition. The patient appears to have a normal digestive tract and colon, but has some kind of abnormality.I talked with my doctor later and he didn't exactly know what was wrong with me. I passed the test(When the doctor sticks their finger up your butt) normally, but the push or force against his finger was very, very weak. So I must have some kind of muscle impairment, that doesn't allow me to completely push out the stool.if you are wondering what a simple definition of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction is- When you take a ####, only a little bit comes out and the rest usually has to be manually removed or else you just have stool sitting up below where it should be. Which is a more than just a little uncomfortable, trust me

·
Registered
232 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Brian0003:Hello,Haven't made a post here in a while but I think I am starting to find out what is wrong with me.I was diagnosed with IBS like 6 years ago and I tried a variety of anti constipation meds, even steriods, and nothing worked.About 2 months ago I had a colonoscopy, everything was normal, very frustrating when you are having incomplete evacuation every time you go.I changed my Doctor(And Thank God for that because if I still would have been at the old one I would have still been drinking water and eating vegetables to cure pelvic floor dysfunction).I got a sitz marker test done. It was a little slow but relatively normal.But the real catch was in the Defography/Defecation test.Diagnosis- Patient was only able to evacuate 10% of the barium(White paste stool). After taking nearly double the normal amount of barium, the diagnosis is an abnormal condition. The patient appears to have a normal digestive tract and colon, but has some kind of abnormality.I talked with my doctor later and he didn't exactly know what was wrong with me. I passed the test(When the doctor sticks their finger up your butt) normally, but the push or force against his finger was very, very weak. So I must have some kind of muscle impairment, that doesn't allow me to completely push out the stool.if you are wondering what a simple definition of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction is- When you take a ####, only a little bit comes out and the rest usually has to be manually removed or else you just have stool sitting up below where it should be. Which is a more than just a little uncomfortable, trust me
Thanks Brian for letting us know how you got on with your doctors test for pelvic floor dsyfunction. Has he told you if there is any suitable treatment available for that? I am not sure if that is what I have or not and would be keen to know what help you are going to receive, as you said your doctor didn't seem to know exactly what was wrong with you. These boards are a great help as its my opinion too that the doctors do not seem to know enough about some of these problems. Thanks again for posting, and if there was any help I could offer, I certainly would, but sorry I do not have any answers.

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
It could possibly be biofeedback therapy."Outlet obstruction type constipation (pelvic floor dyssynergia)The external anal sphincter, which is part of the pelvic floor normally stays tightly closed to prevent leakage. When you try to have a bowel movement, however, this sphincter has to open to allow the fecal material to come out. Some people have trouble relaxing the sphincter muscle when they are straining to have a bowel movement, or they may actually squeeze the sphincter more tightly shut when straining. This produces symptoms of constipation. "http://www.iffgd.org/GIDisorders/GIAdults.html

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
FYIPelvic Floor DyssynergiaAn example of anorectal dysfunction that can contribute to constipation is a condition called Pelvic Floor Dyssynergia (also referred to as anismus). It is marked by the failure of pelvic floor muscles to relax, or a paradoxical contraction of the pelvic floor muscles, with defecation. The pelvic floor is composed of a group of muscles that span the underlying surface of the bony pelvis, which function to allow voluntary urination and defecation. "Paradoxical contraction" refers to an abnormal increase of pelvic floor muscle activity with defecation-rather than the normal decrease in muscle activity that is necessary in order to have a normal bowel movement. This condition can contribute to some forms of constipation, complaints of incomplete evacuation, and straining with stool. Because pelvic floor muscles are controlled voluntarily, their function can be improved through various learning procedures - such as biofeedback. For more information on Disorders Related to Excessive Pelvic Floor Muscle Tension, see IFFGD Fact Sheet No. 109. http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/PelvicFloorDys.htmlPelvic Floor Dyssynergia(Pelvic Floor Dysfunction)http://www.aboutgimotility.org/dyssynergia.htmlBiofeedback & Bowel Disorders: Teaching Yourself to Live without the Problem By: Jeannette Tries, Ph.D., and Mary K. Plummer, O.T.R., Wisconsin http://www.aboutconstipation.org/biofeedback.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
If anyone lives in the NOrth Texas or DFW area I can recommend an amazing phsyical therapist who specialixes in pelvic floor dysfunction. Also, if you would like some tips or help, messge me and I would be glad to help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.